toys and tools

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

toys and tools

Postby bobhenry » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:34 am

I treated myself to my Christmas present.......

The Christmas bargain bug bit me.

I purchased a vibrating saw.

I have had several instances where a circular saw wouldn't fit and the sole plate on the jig saw got in the way. Yeah a saws all might have worked if you weren't doing cabinet grade work hell a chain saw might have got it cut but I was looking for something a bit easier to control. I have had it 3 whole days and have ran up against 3 problems where this strange little tool was THE answer. This cabinet had crown molding making it difficult to remove the 1 1/2" I need to cut away for this installation. I used the circular saw where I could and then connected the dots with the vibrating saw. It is kinda strange to use you tend to want to shove it and when you do it quits cutting. You have to almost cradle it in your palm and let the saw do the work.

Here is the trash picked china hutch top I modified to nest tight to the wall of the caboose. I had to remove 1 1/2" to let in the 2x6 you see in the picture. The little saw made it so much easier.

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Re: toys and tools

Postby Woodbutcher » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:56 am

Good for you Bob, those are handy tools. I bought one a couple years ago and use it often on installations.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Nobody » Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:03 am

Good tool Bob! I bought one of the 'el cheapo' HF multi tools several years ago & a half dozen cutter/scrapers for it. It's still going strong. Yer right tho, the learning curve is kinda steep but once you get the hang of it, that thing cuts through stuff like you wouldn't believe. Handiest thing I found it for was cutting the fiberglass shell on my Scamp 13 to enlarge the roof vent/escape hatch. Still thinking 'bout cutting an opening to put a fantastic fan...
Harvey -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Doing the right thing ain't always easy but, . . . it's always right!
Nobody
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby lrrowe » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:09 pm

Nobody wrote:Good tool Bob! I bought one of the 'el cheapo' HF multi tools several years ago & a half dozen cutter/scrapers for it. It's still going strong. Yer right tho, the learning curve is kinda steep but once you get the hang of it, that thing cuts through stuff like you wouldn't believe. Handiest thing I found it for was cutting the fiberglass shell on my Scamp 13 to enlarge the roof vent/escape hatch. Still thinking 'bout cutting an opening to put a fantastic fan...

Good choices BobHenry.
I too have HF units. I am on my second as first failed after awhile. They are cheap enough to use and throw away. But I have eyed the Rockwell unit. It looks nice. Enjoy. :thumbsup:
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:35 am

THAT'S FUNNY I was in Harbor freight to get one and at less than $28.00 it was tempting but there were no extra blades. By the time I bought the blades it was right up there with the rockwell that Menard's had on give away sale at $49.00. The kit came with 6 cutting blades and the sanding head with several sand paper refills, so I went that route and in real happy with my choice.

Just gotta quit trying to shove the silly thing. :whistle:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby blentz » Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:03 pm

I've got the cheap HF one also. Used it Thursday, nothing else would have done it. I may have to upgrade later.
blentz
Teardrop Builder

Postby GuitarPhotog » Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:13 pm

Peachtree Woodworking had the Triton MFO001 Router for sale at $100 off list, so I bought myself a Christmas present. I plan to build a router table to hold it.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby noseoil » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:39 am

Finally found this online! I sent to Nz. for something similar, but theses are available in the states. Not sure how well they will last, but it's the same idea and a bit cheaper than sending away. Might help someone out if they are working on their build.

https://www.rvsupplyparts.com/catalog/r ... -9541.html
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby SSTear » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:29 pm

My wife bought this for me for my birthday.

Free hand shear up to 16ga carbon sheet steel and up to 22 ga sst like butta. It cuts a nice curve. I used it for my bottom pan with 18ga steel. And I will be using it for the skin sheeting. It takes a little practice but it cutss like a dream.

SSTear
Teardrop Builder

Postby dales133 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:53 pm

I always thought those multi tools were a gimmick until i got a cheap one to try for a couple of things.
I ended up getting a battery 18v one that has interchangeable heads as well so it converts to right angle screw driver, sabre saw,rattle gun ect.
Very handy!
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby coyote » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:16 pm

I also got the H.F. one, on a whim. Started pulling the j-rail off from the Scotty, it had ben "repaired" with tar and roofing material. Wow,that cutting tool slid right under top and side of rail and cut tar, rail came right off! That was going to be tough! I got a biscuit cutter for Christmas, to start reassembly. Been watching u-tube and learning. Wish I'd had these things before now! Dave
coyote
Titanium Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:40 am

I think there may be some confusion about the tool shown^^, which appears to be a hand held right angle shear, and the other tools being described, which sound like Fein style oscillating tools. :thinking:
Last edited by KCStudly on Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby dales133 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:24 am

Bobs first post was a multi tool
dales133