Trying to weld for first time

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Re: Trying to weld for first time

Postby Vajra » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:57 pm

Not sure what all the videos and tips/tricks you have seen, but I thought I would mention the importance of shielding gas flow. Sometimes this is over looked, but fans or wind can effect your shielding gas. You can end up with porosity in your welds. Looks like you are doing good! You can always pick up a welding book such as Welding: Principles and Applications by Larry Jeffus. While I usually return college books even though my company pays for them, I kept this as a reference. I find it very useful for all kinds of welding. I took a basic welding course at my local community college and went on from there, most fun I have ever had. Learned so much. MIG is not my thing, I am into SMAW the most. Or TIG once in a while. I use MIG a great deal at work, but dislike it. Not sure if you have read about it, but since you are newer to welding, avoid welding galvanized metals. It gives off poisonous gasses. It can be done, but requires extra preparation and precautions. Best to just avoid it! Hope we get a update soon on welding attempts! :thumbsup:
Vajra
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Trying to weld for first time

Postby lrrowe » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:19 pm

Vajra wrote:Not sure what all the videos and tips/tricks you have seen, but I thought I would mention the importance of shielding gas flow. Sometimes this is over looked, but fans or wind can effect your shielding gas. You can end up with porosity in your welds. Looks like you are doing good! You can always pick up a welding book such as Welding: Principles and Applications by Larry Jeffus. While I usually return college books even though my company pays for them, I kept this as a reference. I find it very useful for all kinds of welding. I took a basic welding course at my local community college and went on from there, most fun I have ever had. Learned so much. MIG is not my thing, I am into SMAW the most. Or TIG once in a while. I use MIG a great deal at work, but dislike it. Not sure if you have read about it, but since you are newer to welding, avoid welding galvanized metals. It gives off poisonous gasses. It can be done, but requires extra preparation and precautions. Best to just avoid it! Hope we get a update soon on welding attempts! :thumbsup:

Thanks Vajra,
I wish I could find a CC or Tech School training, but to date. I have not found any. I did not know that about galvanized metals, so I appreciate your advice. I see myself staying with MIG because of the low volume of work I will do. I am getting myself spread pretty thin these past years with projects. I have not welded anything lately due to my new push to get some CT work done before my trip next week at VA Beach with the Old Dominion TearJerkers. Boy am I behind. I have a few photos to post soon.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques