Polyiso board gluing questions for Foamie build??

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Polyiso board gluing questions for Foamie build??

Postby SeaFoam-ie » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:29 pm

I finally realized that the Admin notices were in my Spam box. Maybe now the site will be useful to me... I am a newbie to forum sites... I also have very limited internet where I am building. If someone responds to this topic will I receive an email notice? Members Can contact me by email.

I posted a newbie intro - tnttt.com/viewforum.php?f=40 I started a build thread - tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64934 I posted on KCs Poet creek thread and PMed a couple of members, but I am still lost and unclear on where/how to get my questions to the right people. Help!

I have a 58"x100" 196# trailer built and a sandwich floor 1/2 done...

Yesterday I picked up 6 sheets of Hunter Xci 1.5" Polyisocyanurate board w foil on both sides for my foamie build. At $25/sheet it was cheaper than 1.5" XPS ($32) or XPS 2" ($41) with higher R and higher melt temp 270F+. Is there anyone who has used this before? I see that GreatStuff is used to glue Iso into vans http://www.buildagreenrv.com/design-and ... nsulation/ .
Will GG also stick to it?
Will TB2/canvas stick to it? Does it need to be punctured with a roller spur thingy ?Cleaned with some solvent? Sanded?
Is Polyester FG resin compatable?
Will Gripper stick to it? or Kilz?
Can any type of auto body filler be used to fill the little wrinkles in the foil surface?
Have I made a serious mistake with Iso and need to return it and pay extra for 1.5 or 2" XPS???
Any help appreciated, before I start doing my own experimenting... :? :NC :worship:
SeaFoam-ie
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Polyiso board gluing questions for Foamie build??

Postby Pmullen503 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:36 am

Take it back and get XPS. The foil faces will give you nothing but grief.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Polyiso board gluing questions for Foamie build??

Postby desertmoose » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:37 am

it will be difficult to glue canvas to the foil.

That being said, i used foil face polyiso on my canvas covered tear and it worked great. I made it work by gluing the foam to a ply exterior sheet and a paneling interior using construction adhesive. This is a panel style construction. The construction adhesive is made for gluing the foil sheets to ply. After sandwiching the foil sheets between the paneling and ply exterior, it was a piece of cake to glue the canvas to the ply.

I used 1/2" ply on the exterior since it was the least expensive that Lowes had when I went. If I was to do it over, 1/4 ply underlayment would be as cheap, and a lot smoother, and lighter as well. Our tear is heavier than it should have been.

Take a look at my photobucket album listed below. no captions, but you can follow the sequence thru the pictures.

Sam
desertmoose
The 300 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques