Hinges

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Hinges

Postby Gwannybear » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:53 am

I am looking for white powder coated hinges that are stainless based for my trailer doors. I would really like to match my color scheme on my trailer. So far I haven't had much luck.
I did however see some nylon marine hinges in white hinges. I just don't know if they are strong enough. I figured if they were marine grade they should at least hold up to the elements. Not sure about the weight/action of the door.
I plane on through bolting them with stainless bolts as I don't like the look and or fiction of a piano hinge? Does anyone have any advice?
Gwannybear
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Hinges

Postby tony.latham » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:08 am

Does anyone have any advice?

You should be able to purchase the metal hinges you want, and have them powder coated locally with the correct white shade. Cost? Dunno. Maybe $50.

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby dales133 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:17 am

Those nylon ones come in standard and heavy dudy.
They have the same footprint as thier stainless counterparts so if they did fail down the rrack you could swap them over
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby KCStudly » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:23 pm

If your source is a retailer, try to determine who the OEM is and look them up. If they don't have published load ratings try to contact them. If the are "unrated" they are probably not strong enough for an entry door.

As the only engineer on your project, you have to not only look at the weight of the object that you are designing for, you must also consider environmental factors, such as a 200+ lb person leaning on them.

I second the idea of purchasing SS and taking them to a local powder coating business. Try to find the small hobby shop that caters to the hot rodders and car enthusiasts; they will be much more reasonably priced and easier to deal with for small projects than the big industrial commercial outfits that want 10000 widgets/wk just to talk to you.

I have a guy in southeast CT that does this sort of work: http://www.zzpowdercoating.com/

About where are you located?
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:24 pm

Contacting the OEM is also a good idea because they may have just what you need, even if the retailer doesn't list or stock it.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques