Leaking Hinge

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Leaking Hinge

Postby akbias » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:41 am

Hi There,

My name is Andrea and I am new to the forum. My boyfriend and own a teardrop that has started leaking at the hurricane hinge. Our teardrop is one year old and was only used this past summer of 2015.

I began doing "leaking hinge" searches on this form and cam across Bev's post. Looks like her problem was simply that the hurricane hinge did not overlap an inch on either side, which caused the water to runback into the galley. In the responses, it sounded like replacing the hinge with one that overlapped would solve the problem.

As you can see in my pictures, our hinge definitely does not overlap on either side. I just wanted to post this and get your opinions on wether replacing the hinge would work in our situation.

We also have water damage on the bottom of the hatch door. If you look closely in the wide picture you'll see that we actually stripped off part of the wood veneer that was completely damaged. So I'm also wondering wether you think this lower hatch damage is a result of the hurricane hatch failing and the water simply trickling down to the bottom of the hatch or do you think it's a separate issue?

Thanks so much- We are hoping with can fix this problem ourself this winter before another season of camping!
Andrea
Attachments
IMG_0010.JPG
IMG_0010.JPG (77.02 KiB) Viewed 459 times
IMG_0012.JPG
IMG_0012.JPG (88.5 KiB) Viewed 459 times
IMG_0005.JPG
IMG_0005.JPG (172.4 KiB) Viewed 459 times
akbias
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Leaking Hinge

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:28 pm

I do not have a picture, but the solution I came up with is a piece of rubber roofing tucked under the hing.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques