Metal Skin vs Plastic vs Wood finish

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Re: Metal Skin vs Plastic vs Wood finish

Postby Adirondackersouth » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:37 am

DMcCam wrote:Hi David, We went with anodized aluminum for a real retro, no maintenance finish. We've been in really hard rain storms ending with a day of dessert sun leaving tons of water spots. Once home, we washed it then dried it and she looked like new. The only draw back to anodized finish is scratches are permanent; you can't buff them out.

Cheers,

Dave

But it does look great! I often wondered what people do when there campers get scratched. :NC
David Medici
Mechanicsville, Virginia 23116
Happy Trails
Adirondackersouth
Teardrop Master

Postby Tomterrific » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:47 am

I painted my trailer white rustoleum to keep it cool. I used a white elastomeric roof coating on the top and it was even whiter! The super white roof stays cool to the touch when everything around it will burn your hand. I think the white does more than insulation.

The point is, if you want to reflect the heat from the sun rethink that dark finish. At least on the roof.

T
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby bobhenry » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:06 am

I loved using the pebble grained sequential panel. Has held up perfectly and is as easy to form as plywood.

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Adirondackersouth » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:15 pm

bobhenry wrote:I loved using the pebble grained sequential panel. Has held up perfectly and is as easy to form as plywood.

Now that is every a very clever use of that material.
David Medici
Happy Trails
Adirondackersouth
Teardrop Master

Postby Adirondackersouth » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:18 pm

Tomterrific wrote:I painted my trailer white rustoleum to keep it cool. I used a white elastomeric roof coating on the top and it was even whiter! The super white roof stays cool to the touch when everything around it will burn your hand. I think the white does more than insulation.

The point is, if you want to reflect the heat from the sun rethink that dark finish. At least on the roof.

T

T - I am totally with you on the white roof thing. I live in the mid South and the folks with dark vehicles which I was one up until May when I went for sliver instead, the folks with dark roofs suffer terribly. I would imagine that albedo affect of a white teardrop roof is the way to go. Reflective metal would be my second choice for that purpose.
David Medici
Happy Trails
Adirondackersouth
Teardrop Master

Postby Adirondackersouth » Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:57 pm

DMcCam wrote:Hi David, We went with anodized aluminum for a real retro, no maintenance finish. We've been in really hard rain storms ending with a day of dessert sun leaving tons of water spots. Once home, we washed it then dried it and she looked like new. The only draw back to anodized finish is scratches are permanent; you can't buff them out.

Cheers,

Dave

It looks pretty sweet to me :R
David Medici
Happy Trails
Adirondackersouth
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques