Larger drop in door

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Larger drop in door

Postby LMarsh » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:49 pm

Anyone know where to find a door like this one (being used by a builder called GeistWerks):

http://geistwerks.us/main/index.php/201 ... -22-26/2x2

Its probably something like a 48" x 22". I've seen a similar one on ebay but in white but this one has the mill finish. In a few of the photos on the websites gallery you can see the interior of the door too. I suppose I could ask the builder where he gets them but since he's in business to make and sell teardrops I thought it might be rude to ask for sources of materials.

I'll most likely just plan for building my own door but a prefab door is quick and easy to install, although usually pricey. I'm planning a new build that will sleep 2 adults and 2 small children so its going to be larger than my previous builds.
LMarsh
Teardrop Master

Re: Larger drop in door

Postby tony.latham » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:36 pm

I thought it might be rude to ask for sources of materials.

I agree... but it'd be okay to ask if he sells them.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby iggy3860 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:14 pm

Just looked up the link.

A little concerned about the weight range on the 2 plus 2 design :shock:

Regards
Iggy
[Ian McLaren]
iggy3860
Teardrop Inspector

Postby LMarsh » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:08 pm

Hmm... why didn't I think of that? I asked CampInn a few years ago if they'd sell me their stainless fenders and they will, for a pretty penny. I sent Geistwerks an email asking if he would sell a door. His name is Mike Geister and he not only says he will sell the door, but he apparently makes them. Here is part of his reply:

"Yes I can sell you the door from the 2+2. I can also make one in a specific size, and color, trim color, and with or without a screen door and either right or left hinge. Price would depend on your preferences. Let me know what configuration works and I can put together a cost."

I guess that's good, and bad, because I could get any size and color I want but the price is probably a lot higher than a prefabricated drop in door. I'll have to get back to him with some specs and see what the ball park is for the price.

I suppose the regular 26"x36" $300 door that's available could also work but I'd like to make the inside height something like 5'8" for standing (my wife and I are pretty short so its plenty). Something taller would be better for stepping inside although climbing in through a 36" door might still work well enough.
LMarsh
Teardrop Master

Postby Socal Tom » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:40 am

You can also try champion door. I saw them on another post.
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:09 am

Challenger door.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby LMarsh » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:00 am

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try contacting them once I have my final doors specs. Has anyone ordered from them before and are the prices reasonable?
LMarsh
Teardrop Master

Postby LMarsh » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:40 pm

I'll be purchasing my door from Mike Geister. It should help simplify my build and be quicker than making my own door. He doesn't personally make the doors but can order them from a manufacturer. His quoted price, before shipping, was good and saves me the time and hassle of finding one. Nice guy too. I may be getting some mill finish baggage doors from him as well and he's willing help out however he can with my build.
LMarsh
Teardrop Master

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques