Swing out Camp Chef stove?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Swing out Camp Chef stove?

Postby Poorlytiedfly » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:41 am

My build is underway and one thing that I haven't yet figured out is how to incorporate the Camp Chef Explorer, 2 burner stove into my galley. The stove is about 34" wide and I really don't want it just permanently installed into my countertop as it would take up about 50% of my width. I also don't want it to slide out on heavy duty cabinet slides because I don't have 34" of depth to hide it away into...

What I am leaning towards is to have it swing out 90 degrees from directly beneath the countertop. This will need to be on a single point, heavy duty rotating hinge... any ideas on what to use? I could try to build around a 1" heavy black pipe with threaded flanges at the top and bottom. I would build this from a mix of 3/4" birch ply (top/bottom) to deal with the stresses of the pivot point and 1/2" birch ply for the front, back, sides. My sketchup skills are pretty weak but hopefully this gives you an idea. The pipe/hinge that I am referring to would pass through the hole at the top/back of the swing out. The stove alone weights about 30lbs...

This won't be a light weight add on but I haven't based my build around being very light. Appreciate your opinions and feedback!
Poorlytiedfly
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Swing out Camp Chef stove?

Postby bobhenry » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:02 am

Here was my take on the flip out galley............

and I really love it !

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Poorlytiedfly » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:13 am

[quote="bobhenry"]Here was my take on the flip out galley............

Thanks
Did you use any special hinge to carry the weight?
Poorlytiedfly
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bobhenry » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:04 am

put a chunk of 1x12 blocking in the wall to screw into and installed two standard residential door hinges on each swing out cabinet.

They are big 4" ers in this pic you can make out the hinges and the solid blocking is not covered yet.

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Poorlytiedfly » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:39 am

What would your opinions be on using two of these - one on top surface and one underneath, securely mounted to underside of cabinet and to bottom. They are swivel mounts for boat seats. I am sure they make a really heavy duty one for XL fishermen...

Poorlytiedfly
Teardrop Advisor

Postby greygoos » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:33 pm

Have used these in food trailers for swing out Grills and such. It is an old style TV Bracket. Have seen them in thrift stores and ebay. Thrift store 5 bucks, ebay up to 20
Attachments
tv bracket.JPG
tv bracket.JPG (4.86 KiB) Viewed 931 times
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby Socal Tom » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:14 am

It depends on where you want the pivot point. I also used door hinges on mine. They should handle the weight easily, but I'm probably going to replaced the screws with carriage bolts since the screws seem to be loosening up.( I just screwed to the plywood. Remember you also need to factor in the weight of the food. The explorer is a Big A** stove, so I assume you intend to cook big meals, it would probably be good to incorporate a leg into it. Water ways 8 lbs per gallon, and 34 inches gives a lot of leverage. Honestly, as big as that thing is, I would consider using is as is, and just building in a convent storage location. Then when you get there you set it up with the factory legs. ( if you incorporate a flip down shelf you can put dirty dishes there and make extra use of the space.
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby KennethW » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:07 pm

I know this is a little crude but here is another take on a stove shelf
125949125953125954 Click to enlarge.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Poorlytiedfly » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:55 pm

I have abandoned trying to have my (heavy) stove setup pivot or swing out. The weight and stresses that I could put on that part of my galley aren't worth it. I am going with a more traditional pull out tray design mounted just under the countertop. I have uploaded some pics of my galley layout in my build thread (link below).

Thanks for the help!
Poorlytiedfly
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques