Need some tips, adivice, or thread links for my build design

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Need some tips, adivice, or thread links for my build design

Postby LMarsh » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:47 pm

I've been doing lots of planning for our next build that will sleep 2 adults and 2 kids. This will be build number 4 for me but I'm going to be doing a lot of new things I've never done in the previous builds and any advice or links to threads would be great. I've been going over old discussions on a variety of topics but I can never find quite the things I'm looking for. Unfortunately free time is going to be a large factor in many of the choices I make so some things are being left out and others options will have to be done in quicker simpler ways.

First off I'm going with a Dexter torsion axle for a better ride. This decision also led to building a trailer frame from scratch to avoid purchasing a trailer just to remove the axle and cut all the side rails, ramps, or whatever else off I don't need. My previous builds were all on Harbor Freight trailers but I was going to get a larger trailer this time with a 5'x10' or 5'x12'. Since I'm building my own frame I'll probably do 5'x11'' with a total side profile of 12'. Then I can use a single 12' sheet of aluminum or an 8' sheet plus a half sheet on each side. I plan on using 2" (and 3" maybe) angle for the frame, basically how the box store trailers are except having all the angle flipped over for a flat smooth surface to attach my floor. The trailer itself will be 60" wide to the outside of each wall so a single sheet of 60" wide aluminum will cover the roof. Once the sidewalls are attached it should be more than strong enough.

I'm debating on making a foot well so we can stand inside, mainly for getting dressed and such. My wife and I are pretty short and a 5'6" - 5'8" inside height would be adequate for us. The only thing about this that concerns me is how having a section of the floor dropped down lower than the rest of the frame will affect choosing my axle start height, deck height, etc.

I've always thought our tow vehicle has had weak brakes, even after rebuilding the whole system, so I'd also like to put electric drum brakes on the trailer. I have absolutely zero experience with trailer brakes.

I’ll also be posting more specific questions in the proper locations such as for the axle and brakes and trailer frame, but thanks in advance!

Lucas
LMarsh
Teardrop Master

Re: Need some tips, adivice, or thread links for my build de

Postby lrrowe » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:33 pm

Welcome. You should get a lot of support here as you move along. I have not built a frame, but I did order my CT with a Dexter Torsion system and learned how the angle you select for the torsion arm will greatly affect your ground clearance, thus affecting how much of a step down box you can build. So I would make sure I did the correct homework as you cannot change the angle later.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques