Electric vs Hydraulic brakes

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby madjack » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:55 am

Steve, get one that is totally digital...one that has an accelerometer in it...some controllers are tied to the brake light circuit and actuated at a prescribed level when they sense power to the circuit...some have a pedulum and have to be mounted level and calibrated for the angle...commom sense will show you the problem with these 2...one with an accelerometer does not have these problems and should work quite smoothly!!!!!!!!
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Dale M. » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:33 pm

DHAZARD wrote:Stupid thought, if the newer electronic controllers do not tap into the brake line would it be possible to put it in the trailer?

While not connecting to hydraulic brake system, they do connect electrically to brake light switch/circuit....

Also having the adjustments in braking controls available to driver at all times in definitely a benefit....

With travel trailer, once you setup adjustments they may not need change....

But I also have car carrier trailer and I will tell you there is a difference in setting whether trailer is running empty or with car or weight on trailer... Adjutments to system accessible to driver is a must....

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby dhazard » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:19 pm

Interesting revival of an old thread. What I ended up doing was going with a hydraulic system. No regrets as of today. The main reasons for me. The hydraulic system is not dependant on a controller in the car. Simpler on the car end. The newest hydraulic brake backing plates allow the trailer to back up a hill without locking up the brakes or putting a pin in the coupler. Hydraulics have worked good on the boat trailers I have had and I am not planning on backing the teardrop into water, so I don’t think corrosion should be an issue. In my opinion it just simpler… Whatever you decide, good luck with your build.
Regards, Dan
ImageImageImage
Many miles and many tears. Times were hard but now they're changing.
You should know that I'm not afraid.
dhazard
Donating Member

Postby Steve Frederick » Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:09 pm

I ordered the Prodigy!
Blessings, Steve
Adirondacks, Upstate New York
Building Journals
The Shop Manual's 8-years old!! Thank's everyone!
New! 'Rondack Lodge Plans!Order Here!
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Location: Upstate New York, Adirondacks (Great Sacandaga Lake)

Postby Gaston » Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:37 pm

"some states require brakes on trailers. But how many actually require them to be connected and working?? I have built and pulled race car trailers with brakes but never felt the need to hook them up. the trailers towed just fine with out them. (tow truck didn't have a controller) . BUT be aware of the extra stopping distance required ( a bumper sticker on the trailer said" PASS WITH CARE, IF YOU CUT ME OFF, BRACE FOR COLLISION
The difficult we do now... the impossible takes a little longer
Gaston
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques