Anyone ever made their own trim rings for a window?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby lacofdfireman » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:58 pm

Looking for Windows for a build I'm currently doing. Most of the Windows I'm looking at either do not come with trim rings or they are for smaller thickness Windows than what I have. Just wondering if anyone has made their own trim rings and how you did it? How did they turn out? Photos please if possible.
lacofdfireman
Teardrop Master

Re: Anyone ever made their own trim rings for a window?

Postby Tomterrific » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:35 pm

I'm not sure what's up here? Are the trim rings with the windows you have not deep enough? Wrap the the trim ring with vinyl cut from a piece of cheap vinyl siding, or aluminum, which ever the existing trim ring is made of, to extend it.

T
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby lacofdfireman » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:55 pm

Tomterrific wrote:I'm not sure what's up here? Are the trim rings with the windows you have not deep enough? Wrap the the trim ring with vinyl cut from a piece of cheap vinyl siding, or aluminum, which ever the existing trim ring is made of, to extend it.

T

I'm new to building and unfortunately I'm overbuilding my trailer way to much. I kinda figured I needed to so it would hold a RTT up top but after posting up photos etc I've found it wasn't necessary to use 2x3 studs to build out our walls. I have 3/4" Baltic birch exterior walls and from what others are saying that should have been enough to support a RTT. But I'm to far along in my build now and have studs up etc. so my wall thickness is over 3". I'm not going to find trim rings that big. I was considering just using the standard trim rings that will come with the windows then framing around the Windows which will make me end up with a window sill. I could make it nice and decorative. Not sure if anyone has ever done anything like this. I do like your vinyl siding idea though. That could definitely work. Thanks for the response.
Last edited by lacofdfireman on Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lacofdfireman
Teardrop Master

Postby kayakdlk » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:56 pm

I didn't use trim rings, as my windows didn't come with them either. I screwed through the outer ring into my roof for my moon roof windows. On the inside I smoothed the wood with epoxy (you could use a wood filler) and painted the inside lip black. It blends into the black windows frame and looks fine

Check out my build journal for more details and pictures (page 5 about 1/4 the way down) shows the moon roof inside and out and how I finished it.

Dan
kayakdlk
Platinum Donating Member

Postby lacofdfireman » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:26 pm

kayakdlk wrote:I didn't use trim rings, as my windows didn't come with them either. I screwed through the outer ring into my roof for my moon roof windows. On the inside I smoothed the wood with epoxy (you could use a wood filler) and painted the inside lip black. It blends into the black windows frame and looks fine

Check out my build journal for more details and pictures (page 5 about 1/4 the way down) shows the moon roof inside and out and how I finished it.

Dan

Dan, That's an impressive build. Mine won't be anywhere near that nice... Great job, you have some serious skillz...
lacofdfireman
Teardrop Master

Postby Iain Hall » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:45 am

My take on trim rings will be to try something a bit different. As I am planning fixed round windows in my doors I plan to use bicycle rims split in half along the spoke holes to make quite smart dress rings that will nicely cover the edges of the cut outs in the skin/ linings with the glass sandwiched between them with suitable "packing" it should look really good. Of course this is still theory and I will post pictures when I get to that point. 8)
Life is not the warm up , its the show
Iain Hall
Teardrop Advisor

Postby aggie79 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:33 am

kayakdlk wrote:I didn't use trim rings, as my windows didn't come with them either. I screwed through the outer ring into my roof for my moon roof windows. On the inside I smoothed the wood with epoxy (you could use a wood filler) and painted the inside lip black. It blends into the black windows frame and looks fine

Dan

I did the same as Dan, but didn't paint the inside. I was going to build trim rings but I think it looks okay as is. For your situation, I think I would finish out the inside like you mentioned.

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Andrew Herrick » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:24 am

I've tried making my own trim rings ...

*whistling*

Now I don't buy surplus windows :P So you can guess how that turned out. I'm also not experienced in metal working. I think someone with better fabrication equipment could do a fine job. But I didn't find it very DIY-friendly.

Unless you enjoy the technical challenge, just screwing through the window flange with self-tapping sheet metal screws is far easier and, assuming you install butyl tape around the flange, essentially waterproof. Most RV manufacturers use interior trim clamp rings because then they don't have to reinvent their framing every time they move a window. There's nothing intrinsically wrong putting screws into the walls so long as they're installed correctly :)
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage

SEE MORE AT: boondockcampers.com
Andrew Herrick
The 300 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques