Excellent adhesive

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Excellent adhesive

Postby Graniterich » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:57 pm

I was finishing up the roof of number nine build, and thought I would pass on a tip for other builders. When I built my first td, I made a game out of keeping down the cost. One day at lowe's, they were blowing out some loctite pl s30 polyurethane roof and flashing sealant, forty two cents each! I was using frp as the headliner, and needed to attach to the spars. The back of frp is really smooth, and I was concerned that it might be hard to get a good bond. Upon reading the information on the tube one of the things that caught my eye was the twenty five percent flexibility on expansion joints. I put down a nice bead and braced the frp up against the spars. It took two days to completely dry but the results were great!

I have continued to use it on all the other builds with excellent results. It remains flexible, like hard rubber when set. I use normal pl adhesive on the rest of the wood to wood bonding, but was concerned that it is brittle, especially spaning any gaps. I am not saying it wouldn't have worked as well.

The only negative is it is black and doesn't wipe off well if it gets on other parts.

Here is their description :
Loctite Adhesives

search mobile site
Go
Home / Browse Products / Sealants / PL[REGISTERED SIGN] - Polyurethane / Loctite[REGISTERED SIGN] PL[REGISTERED SIGN] S30 Polyurethane Roof & Flashing Sealant

LOCTITE[REGISTERED SIGN] PL[REGISTERED SIGN] S30 POLYURETHANE ROOF & FLASHING SEALANT
Sealing roof flashing around skylights, windows, chimneys and roof edging.
Overview
Loctite[REGISTERED SIGN] PL[REGISTERED SIGN] S30 Polyurethane Roof & Flashing Sealant is a premium quality, commercial grade sealant developed especially for forming permanent, water and weatherproof seals in all exterior gaps and joints. This sealant is elastic and remains flexible to expand and contract with construction material movement to protect and retain the original seal. It provides properties of non-sag, permanent flexibility and corrosion resistance. It exhibits outstanding durability and tear resistance. It usually requires no primer and resists deterioration from weather, stress or movement. It is UV and ozone resistant and does not soften in the sun.

Recommended For

Bonding to asphalt, aluminum, fiberglass, metal, brick, wood, concrete, stucco and many more substrates
Sealing roof flashing around chimneys and roof edging
Shingle tabbing and for covering roofing nails
NOT RECOMMENDED FOR
Underwater applications or permanent water immersion
Use with fillers impregnated with oil, asphalt, tar or any migratory saturant
Applications requiring temperature resistance greater than 200°F (93°C)
Joint depths greater than ½' without the use of a backer rod
Contact with oil-based caulking compounds, butyl caulking compounds and silicone sealants

FEATURE
BENEFIT
Flexible
Use on expansion joints; ± 25% movement
Weatherproof
Withstand harsh environments
Does not deteriorate
One-time application
Paintable
Blends with surroundings
Low-VOC formula
Complies to stringent Federal & State Regulatory Requirements