Wall strength question

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Wall strength question

Postby azgreg » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:07 am

I know there has been an unlimited number of questions concerning wall construction. However, I couldn't find the answer I was looking for. Taking the two following examples, both built the same way, 3/4" frame with the voids filled with insulation, and 1/8" inner and outer skin, is either one stronger than the other? Keep in mind my build will be simple with no cabinets being attached to the walls.

The reason I ask is if there is no inherent difference that I will use the 2nd option so I can have a bit more insulation.
azgreg
Donating Member

Re: Wall strength question

Postby dales133 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:54 am

If you fully laminate the foam and frame to the internal and external ply option 2 should be fine

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:55 pm

I would be a little more generous with the material on the hinge side of the door and maybe the galley wall attachment area as to aid with the stress they may see during operation and travel movement.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby noseoil » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:45 am

This is how I did mine. Plenty of strength, with just some "hard points" where any fastenings were used (galley, headboard, door edges, floor, roof, drink holders, windows, etc.) & we beat it up pretty well this past weekend on our trip. No problems on anything we did & it was a very rough road into the camp area.

I did add a strip of wood for the rear shelf to rest against, so the 1/8" exterior skin & aluminum don't get pushed in from any weight on the shelf bracket under a load. That's the nice thing about this way of building. Once the sides are up you can add more hard points if the need to go in.
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby azgreg » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:53 am

@dales133: Yes I intend to fully intend to laminate the foam and frame together with both the inner and outer skin.

@bobhenry: I intend to. Those are just two simple illustrations to show a difference.

@noseoil: Thanks for the pic.

Thanks for the replies guys.
azgreg
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:43 am

I think cutting mortises into sandwiched walls for the bulkheads really adds strength to the structure. Those areas around the cuts need to be beefed up (widened). But if you're not going to mortise, those points still need strengthening I think.

Here's the last ten-foot long skeleton I cut. I think it's a bit chunky. But you can see where I've beefed it up to join the bulkheads.

I also agree with Tim to make sure to include hard points for anything that will be attached to the wall, such as hooks to hang your clothes aft of the door, headboards, rear shelving, countertop, etc.

Tony

p.s. And I never did use those hard points for the fenders. I prefer them attached to the chassis...
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby haha49 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:33 pm

the outside plywood is what is going to give it's strength. The inside plywood is kind of like a spacer. I plan on building like that but instead of 1/8 plywood I plan on using carbon fiber and resin that way it's strong as steel but light weight. I would do both the inside and outside then do another to lock the roof to the walls like a big box. For the floor I would do the same thing but carbonfiber the bottom then throw a thicker sheet on top that way it's really strong I would make it so the outside walls notch into it as well that way you can screw through the bottom and the sides. The roof is the harder part since for the sides you can place it on a piece of plywood do 1 side then simply pick it up do your wiring (outside wall) then put the outside layer on when it goes back together.
haha49
Teardrop Builder

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques