Exterior Siding Installation Time

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Exterior Siding Installation Time

Postby RunnerDuck » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:35 pm

I'm starting to build up my walls before I install them onto the floor. They are made from a 3/4" core with rigid foam insulation filling the open spaces. The inner walls will be 1/4" plywood and the outer walls will be 1/4" plywood and sheet aluminum.

My question is: Should I completely build up my walls with all the siding before I install them or wait on the aluminum siding?

If I wait to install the aluminum siding I can screw some screws into the frame to add strength holding the body on. It would be more difficult to glue unless I used a contact adhesive.

If I install the aluminum siding first the pocket hole screws inside the the lower inner walls should be enough to hold the body on tight.

I'm just not sure what would be the best and the easiest.

As always, thanks for any comments.
RunnerDuck
Teardrop Master

Re: Exterior Siding Installation Time

Postby Kim Armstrong » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:33 am

I would put the inside sheeting on and leave the outside sheet and alum. off till last. and install your wall. That way you still have the wall opened up to run your wiring and if you decide to add something inside on the wall you are sure to have a mounting point.
Kim Armstrong
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Re: Exterior Siding Installation Time

Postby noseoil » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:35 am

Agree with the above statement. 1/4" is twice as heavy as 1/8" which is plenty strong.
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques