Building TD on Top of Metal Sides of Utility Trailer

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Building TD on Top of Metal Sides of Utility Trailer

Postby Bubblehead » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:28 pm

Hello all. I first posted this in the trailer section and got no responses. Maybe that was the wrong place, so I am posting it here.
I'm trying to plan my first TD. First is to find an appropriate trailer. The wife and I came across pictures on the web http://www.doityourselfrv.com/diy-teardrop-camper-made-recycled-materials/ where the TD floor was built on the railing around the trailer. This afforded a 6 to 8 inch space under the TD floor for what appears to be a lot of storage. Therefore, we have narrowed our search for a trailer down to a 5.5' or 6' by 10' utility trailer with flat (many have round pipes now) side rails.

I tried to do a few searches here to find other people who may have done this. I guess I'm not using the right search words, because I'm just not finding anything. If someone can point me in the right direction on this, I would appreciate the help.

Thanks,
Bubblehead (Greg)
Bubblehead
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Building TD on Top of Metal Sides of Utility Trailer

Postby bobhenry » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:19 pm

My starter frame for the barn was a 5x8 Namco You can see in this picture I only left the rear stubs and the wheel wells to build over.

Here is the build thread.......http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=30307
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby dales133 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:17 pm

I built my own trailer to do exactly that.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Bubblehead » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:44 am

Thanks for the responses.

BobHenry: Your trailer is what I am keeping my eye out for, but I'm not looking to cut the rail off. I want to have the floor of my TD to sit on top of the rail and have the area between the floor of the trailer and the bottom of the TD floor for sort of a "dirty" storage area for things like chairs, folding canopies, fishing poles, firepit accessories.

Dales133: Do you have any pictures of how you did yours? I was thinking of having drop down (or even removable) doors spanning the rear and one on each side at the front corners.

Thanks,
Greg
Bubblehead
Teardrop Inspector

Postby dales133 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:34 am

Mines still a work in progress but im reasembling the trailer tomorrow.
Im having a drop down door either side at the front and the same for 1 small locker either side behind the wheels.
The rear will have a drop down tailgate with 2 draws about 5 feet long that pull out the back

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Socal Tom » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:00 am

There are a few that have done " basement" storage. The cross wing was one. If you aren't careful you can add a lot of weight. The one in your example looked very heavy. Personally. I would use plywood on edge underneath to support the weight. It wouldn't give you one big space, but compartments to work with.
Tom

Sent from my Lenovo A7600-F using Tapatalk
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:48 am

I think Desertmoose got basement storage right.
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45718

Having the cabin be removable for a dual purpose trailer is seldom ever done practically, so unless you insist on that, the rails seem like more of a hindrance; go ahead and cut them off. the cabin walls more than make up for the lost strength.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Bubblehead » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:31 am

"Basement" storage! There is that "search" word I have been looking for. Thanks.

Weight is not a large factor in this build (although I want to keep it as light as possible), but size is. It has to be able to fit through my garage door. As far as towing, I have options: Fiat 500L (probably not), Montero, Bronco, or an F350. Ultimately, I would like the basement to be clear of any obstructions. Below is another rough example of what I am hoping to do.

The one other thing is I am not planning on is the TD being removable from the trailer.

Thanks for all the comments,
Greg
Bubblehead
Teardrop Inspector

Postby KCStudly » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:19 am

Unless you have one large object, or want to be able to haul sheets of ply (...your P/U truck would be better suited for that, so nix), I think you will find that it is much more useful to segregate the storage areas and have access to the front area from the sides (...again, the metal rails get in the way). Objects won't be able to shift around so much or roll too far out of reach from the back (it's not like you will be able to crawl in there and get stuff, too shallow); and (...and this is a big "and") you will be able to build lighter with vertical supports down the middle and across near where the bulk of your body weight will rest.

Removing steel that you are going to clad with wood anyway is just smart weight management because the wood is fully capable of handling the structural loads by itself. Adding a couple of strips of ply and a couple of cleats to form a "T" shaped dividing bulkhead is a lot lighter than a bunch of heavy joists needed to span the width of the deck.

Just saying. Do what you want, but do the research to be sure it is what you really want. Like I said, Desertmoose got it right for the right reasons, IMHO.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Bubblehead » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:42 pm

KC,

I sifted through DesertMoose's photos, and I understand where you are coming from now. Thanks very much for your input.

Thanks,
Greg
Bubblehead
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Socal Tom » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:27 pm

Bubblehead wrote:"Basement" storage! There is that "search" word I have been looking for. Thanks.

Weight is not a large factor in this build (although I want to keep it as light as possible), but size is. It has to be able to fit through my garage door. As far as towing, I have options: Fiat 500L (probably not), Montero, Bronco, or an F350. Ultimately, I would like the basement to be clear of any obstructions. Below is another rough example of what I am hoping to do.

The one other thing is I am not planning on is the TD being removable from the trailer.

Thanks for all the comments,
Greg

The " cross wing " ended up weighing 3500lbs, and the trailer chassis is aluminium. Weight can spiral if you don't watch out.
Tom

Sent from my Lenovo A7600-F using Tapatalk
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques