Carpeting walls techniques

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Carpeting walls techniques

Postby lacofdfireman » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:47 pm

Looking to put a very low pile carpet on the inside walls of my build. Just wondering what techniques people Mashable with doing this?

Is it best to glue down or staple? If glue what brand do you use

Is it best to do the sides first or the bottom floor where I'll be sleeping or does it not even matter? Any suggestions appreciated as I've never done caper before. Also how do you cut it to fit perfect in the corners etc?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
lacofdfireman
Teardrop Master

Re: Carpeting walls techniques

Postby GuitarPhotog » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:04 pm

I used a carpet product called Hull Liner to cover the interior of my trailer. Since my frame is metal and I didn't want to drill a bunch of holes in it, I just used high-temp hot glue to glue the hull liner to the walls.I did the walls first because they were easiest, then the ceiling, then the interior of the storage lockers.

You don't really have to carpet the floor if you are using a foam mattress. My floor is just bare plywood but I have a 5" thick foam mattress over it, so it's fine.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby MtnDon » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:34 pm

Ditto the hullliner!!! It is great stuff. I used the same stuff as GuitarPhotog... literally. I bought his leftovers. :D I used 3M Fastbond 30NF (non flammable) contact adhesive on the walls and ceiling inside the trailer. On the hulliner I used spray on 3M adhesive just like GuitarPhotog did as the Fastbond NF soaks into the hulliner too much. That I sprayed on a windless day, in the garage with the overhead door opened. The FB30NF is not cheap, but is an excellent adhesive and a quart goes a very long way. Applied with a small roller.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby lacofdfireman » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:42 pm

Thanks for the info. I'll have to look into the Hull Liner. We don't live in a boat or marine area so alot of that stuff is hard to come by. I may be restricted to the Big box store inventories. HD and Lowes etc. Also is the 3m adhesive enough? I worry about with the hot climate that I live in with it coming unglued due to the heat etc?
lacofdfireman
Teardrop Master

Postby dales133 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:09 am

I used marine carpet slightly heavier than hull liner but similar.
I used a spirit based contact adhesive, brands irrelevant as you wont have it there but simmilar to 3m or ados.
Get plenty of sharp blades for your chosen utility knife and change them often.
I overcut everything and overlap on joins and then cut through both layers remove the off cuts and restick. Youll get invisable joins.
I love working with marine carpet,you get very profesional looking results if you work cleanly and take your time.

Heres some ive done on my cabin shelving

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:30 am

I used some heavy weave fabric almost burlap but softer. I cut blue foam to press fit the walls and wrapped the fabric over the foam and back taped it. Eazy peazy no nails screws or glue has worked well for 5+ years.

Here s the trimmed out window described above

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby MtnDon » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:45 am

One online source of hull liner.

3M 30NF Fastbond Contact Adhesive is an excellent adhesive. Very tenacious glue.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby aggie79 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:48 am

I used hull liner and 3M headliner adhesive for the ceiling of my teardrop. The hull liner was applied on the bench and then the roof section was reinstalled.

Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby lacofdfireman » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:16 pm

Dang you guys do great work. I wish I had places locally that sold this type of stuff. I can't find anything remotely that light in material. All I have found is the stuff on big rollers at the big box stores. I just hate buying online when I don't have to. That way I know what I'm actually buying. To many variables buying online. I'll keep looking around locally and see what I can come up with. Thanks for your help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
lacofdfireman
Teardrop Master

Postby noseoil » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:36 am

We used raw canvas (unbleached) for our headliner. Contact cement & did the same type of installation with the canvas applied first, then dropped the headliner.

If I was doing the walls & ceiling both, I would work all the panels on a bench first & upholster them laying down, then assemble the finished panels with a bit of help from a friend to stand them up.

Sequencing is very important to think through, first. Don't forget wiring, lights, cabinet attachments, etc. prior to skinning things and standing the walls!
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby lacofdfireman » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:32 am

Not going to be able to attach the carpet outside of the trailer as the walls are already in. But that would have been a lot easier I'm sure.
lacofdfireman
Teardrop Master

Postby cfunni » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:48 am

I'm about to get busy on a Big Woody TD. I plan to stain the exterior of the plywood, and carpet the interior. After reading the posts here today, I am thinking I should glue the carpet the the inside walls before I attach the walls. Might make some things harder to finish, but sure would be easier to trim the carpet then after. Any comments?
Craig
Houston, Texas
cfunni
Teardrop Inspector

Postby cshane » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:17 pm

Image1461262632.418322.jpg
Image1461262632.418322.jpg (14.13 KiB) Viewed 2520 times

Liquid nails, all purpose carpet from a box store.
cshane
Teardrop Advisor

Postby KCStudly » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:45 pm

What little experience I have with carpet, it is my understanding that sometimes it is better to trim in place because it is easier to hide any inconsistent edges. I guess it depends on how fluffy the carpet is and how tight the wood joints are.

If it were me I'd try to do it "in the flat" as much as possible, but maybe leave a couple of inches and trim with a carpet knife after standing the walls up? That could make a big mess with glue, etc., so maybe not a good idea.

Ooh, ooh, I remember now. The trick to trimming prior to install is to paint the edges of your wall with a similar color paint; that way if when you trim the carpet it doesn't cover perfectly it will be camouflaged and the underlying wood won't stand out.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby dales133 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:17 pm

Yea you got it KC its far neater to trim i. Place.
The carpet i used is thick backing with a longish pile and therefore quiet different to install than the hull liner.
It has bot good and bad pilnts.
All my edges where it joined against wood i trimmed with a new blade and steel ruler to get a crisp edge and while i didnt on this bar one place have used the sparay paint the edges trick.
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques