RIP Plastic hinge

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Re: RIP Plastic hinge

Postby StPatron » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:55 am

noseoil wrote:We have to deal with heat & sun most of the year in Tucson. Temperatures can range from 25 in the winter to 110 in summer. That 110 is the air temperature. Add heating from the sun & cars get up to 140 on a hot day inside, with the windows closed. You have to be careful grabbing the steering wheel here on some days. Just saying that heat can be a big factor where we live when it comes to plastic anything. Dash boards crack pretty quickly, unless protected with a dash mat.

Camping in very cold weather could also be a problem over time. Opening a hinge when it's really cold could cause cracking to happen faster.

I just think a plastic hinge isn't a good idea (especially here in Tucson) if the trailer has to be stored outside all year, like ours is. Metal will never fail, unless something goes very wrong. I can see paying less for the plastic hinge because of a budget, but to me it's just something which will have to be replaced sooner or later anyway, so metal just makes more sense. Just my $.02 worth....

Understand all that, I have spent a lot of time in Arizona.

You are equating heat deterioration with UV radiation, I don't. Deterioration of plastics due to heat vs. UV radiation are two different animals entirely. Dashboard deterioration is caused primarily by UV rays thru the windshield, explains why that is more commonly a problem area vs. other plastic interior parts. 140 F. is well within the heat tolerance imits of industrial plastics. If I get greater than 140 F. interior temps inside the Dewey Diner then I have other more pressing problems.. such as fire or nuclear meltdown.

My point is..... Standard application of plastic hinges does NOT expose the hinge to UV radiation. Full length door hinges are hidden and only exposed during short opening periods. Hatch hinges are applied with bolsters, usually aluminum strip on each side running the length of the hinge. The only portion exposed to UV radiation is the tiny flexing area strip between the bolsters, for a few hrs. per day during direct sunlight. If that caused lack of sleep one could simply cover that with any number of UV resistant materials. EPDM, marine vinyl, Sunbrella, etc.

Hurrican Hinge vs. Plastic Hinge in cold weather: There is documentation on this forum from a user who experienced Hurricane Hinge failure due to icing conditions. Expansion of freezing water creates arches of stone, soft aluminum is no match. On the contrary, the smooth surface of a Plastic Hinge does not allow for water entrapment, freezing and expansion. I have yet to read a report of cold weather induced Plastic Hinge failure. A general fear but no hard evidence.

Hurricane Hinges are not immune to failure. There is no lifetime guarantee. And, they will eventually wear out. By design there is contact abrasion from aluminum ON aluminum without the benefit of any lubrication. Adding insult to injury, that abrasion is greatest during weight bearing movements. What other mechanical designs employ that principle without anticipating failure? I can't think of any. I had one die on me after about 5 yrs. collecting New Mexico, Utah and Arizona sand in the channel and eating the aluminum away every time I opened/closed the camper shell hatch. Yes, metal WILL FAIL, especially soft metals such as aluminum.

I wouldn't hesitate to apply a Plastic Hinge whether I lived in Tucson, North Dakota.. anywhere. Weight/stress limitations would be my only concern. I think there are advantages and disadvantages to all materials and my decision was/is based on numerous factors, including personal experience... not just budget as you imply. The most expensive is not always the best choice. It all boils down to product spec. comparison and then personal preference. IMO, the product specs of the Plastic Hinge along with reports from forum moderator Madjack and others make it an excellent choice!
StPatron
Donating Member

Postby StPatron » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:17 am

bobhenry wrote: no leaks no errors no failures. They should outlive me !

Wow! The infamous Bob Henry! I haven't been on the forum for some time, always enjoyed every single one of your posts and used many of your ideas. I like your style. Good to see you continuing to share your wisdom (and contrariness) with others.

I can't help but be reminded of the time when I posted I was using a computer power supply for my 12 VDC. OH NO! Screams, hollers and seizures! You HAVE to use the latest, newest WIFFO X876A+ Super Duper Converter. Why? I asked. Well.. because otherwise you will burn your trailer to the ground!!! My reply: I have yet to have a personal computer catch fire. Dead silence. 5 yrs. later, still works like a charm. Not even any dust on the fan.

Variety. Something for everyone. High tech whiz-bang gadgetry or simple, KISS, reliable and functional.
StPatron
Donating Member

Postby StPatron » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:24 am

KennethW wrote:Bob, It is called frugal. :beer:
I use strap hinges with aluminum flashing bend down into the seam. Like a upside down W. The flashing is UV proof and the bend make for very little flexing.

I like that! Time tested, proven and reliable. Thanks for sharing your idea, Kenneth.
StPatron
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques