Has anyone used Hydro-Tek plywood

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Has anyone used Hydro-Tek plywood

Postby jiyuu4life » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:36 pm

Good day. Just want to know if anyone has used Hydro-Tek BS1088 marine grade plywood for the sides and top of their trailer. It is a Philippine Mahogany face and back as well as the core material. I have seen a lot of projects used Okoume. Thanks.
jiyuu4life
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Has anyone used Hydro-Tek plywood

Postby Andrew Herrick » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:34 pm

Good afternoon! I've used marine plywood before, but it was industrial grade, not BS-1088 ... whew ... just found Hydro-Tek BS-1088 online for $137/sheet in 18mm (23/32") thickness. :o Are you planning on fiberglassing your exterior?

You probably already know this, but a higher grade of marine plywood doesn't necessarily mean more strength or durability, unless you're talking bending strength. It's prettier, more dimensionally stable, etc., but almost any marine plywood will have a decent WBP (water boil proof) adhesive. Some grades may have a fungicide added. If you're already planning to skin your camper in metal, is it worth spending the extra $$$ for the structural sheathing? Not saying it isn't! Just something you have to consider.

If you're building a woody, you could always purchase 3/4-inch X-rated sheathing for the walls and 1/4-inch X-rated sheathing for the roof, and then laminate 4mm Hydro-Tek plywood on top. That way, you get the looks, stability and weather-resistance of Hydro-Tek, but without the dire cost :)
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage

SEE MORE AT: boondockcampers.com
Andrew Herrick
The 300 Club

Postby swoody126 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:33 pm

been working w/ Hydrotek & Aquatek for the last few months and used Doug Fir marine plywood earlier this year

the Ocume & Miranti products do not check like the Doug Fir or specially the YP plywood IMHO

a light skin of glass in epoxy resolves this issue

the real benefit of using the Hydrotek & Aquatek is that they have more plies for any given thickness(5 plies on 1/4") and experience has shown that even the edges can be finished providing a reasonaby waterproof and slick finish

the increased number of plies provides a much more stable/stiffer product

yes they are more expensive and since only a hand full of suppliers carry them the added shipping costs can put a serious dent in your budget, unless you happen to live in a town where they are available

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby jiyuu4life » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:44 am

Andrew and Swoody. I apologize for my late reply. Life got in the way right after my post. Thanks for the reply. Not to long ago I continued the build. I will post a pic! Thanks again. Todd
jiyuu4life
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques