Hatch Weight vs Hurricane Hinge

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Hatch Weight vs Hurricane Hinge

Postby ocasioc25 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:20 pm

Hello all,

My hatch build is all done. I think it's a little heavy because I used 7, 3/4" x 3", ribs including the sides. I always tend to over do it. If it's 4 x 4 I go with 6 x 6. I did start off with 4 ribs and then thought about spring back of the plywood. Then I added 3 more ribs. I used 5MM (less than 1/4" and a little over 1/8") plywood to skin the hatch, 2 30" strips, which was a pain trying to get the radius. Well the hatch is a lil heavy, approximately 50 lbs. and it will not rest on the edge of the trailer. My only worry is the weight might be too much for the hurricane hinge. I might place a 1/4" angle on the hatch so it rests on the edge of the trailer. Any suggestions?

Carlos
ocasioc25
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Hatch Weight vs Hurricane Hinge

Postby steve cowan » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:27 pm

Depending on how the bottom of the hatch was framed it would rest on the floor when closed.When opened the angle wouldn't rest on the sides anyway.
steve cowan
Donating Member

Re: Hatch Weight vs Hurricane Hinge

Postby noseoil » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:51 am

Usually, the hatch will rest on a gasket of some sort to make the seal. This can be along the sides or along the bottom. Also, you may have some gas springs to help lift & support it when it's in place. If the hatch weighs 50#, only half that weight is being supported at the hinge normally. There has to be something along the bottom to seal things from the weather, right? The latches are keeping it shut as well.

My hatch is closer to 70# with the lights, skins, "bumpers", speakers, 3rd brake light, etc. & the hinge is fine, no problems. I used a pair of 100# struts & they work pretty well. You should be fine.

Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques