remind me. temp on working epoxy resin.

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Re: remind me. temp on working epoxy resin.

Postby KCStudly » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:32 pm

It will vary by product, but for West System I have found that the "Fast" 205 hardener is good to apply down to about 45 deg F and can be used for smaller layups up to about 68 deg F, if you work quickly, or for small thickened spot fill jobs.

For bigger layups, first time users, and/or hotter temps move to the 206 "Slow" hardener. The 'slow' is okay at lower temps, too, it just takes even longer to kick.

YMMV with conditions and differences in technique.

I have mostly been laying up 2 plies of 6oz cloth over foam board or wood, and seldom do layups of more than about 4 sq yds area. For larger layups I have been working dry on dry, usually pushing the epoxy thru both plies at the same time.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Re: remind me. temp on working epoxy resin.

Postby noseoil » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:36 am

Size of the mix will also affect the way it cures. I large mix pot will kick off faster than one spread out & very thin. If it's setting too fast, lower the temperature of the resin & catalyst before mixing, ice bath or something.

If you just have the slow set stuff & it's too cold, do the mix, wet out the cloth & then use a heat source to bump the mix so it sets. You can tent the area with some plastic & put in a small space heater to kick it off.
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques