Door Trim Details

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Door Trim Details

Postby rhubley » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:01 pm

I have browsed the forum extensively for details door trim for internal-seal wood-wall doors. I realize that most people have found that external-seal designs are more water-proof, but I was hoping for a cleaner exterior look on this wooden trailer. The issue is, how do people handle the depth of the walls on wooden trailers. I.e 2 sheets of 1/8" + 1 sheet of 3/4" = ~1" depth. Most teardrop trailer nosing trim comes in 1/2" or 7/8" ( x 1/4" ) which is shy of the actual wall depth. How do people adequately seal these internal seal doors? Here is what I was thinking:

Slide1.jpg
Slide1.jpg (85.31 KiB) Viewed 878 times

I was hoping for something simple like #1 but I can't find molding 1" or greater ( that I can bend/trim ). Any pointers would be helpful. Alternatively I could layup something like #2 but I still have exposed wood on the trailer wall edge without wider molding.
rhubley
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Door Trim Details

Postby aggie79 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:15 pm

I haven't used this source but it may work: http://www.orangealuminum.com/tee-molding-and-edge-trims/edge-trim.html. It would be worth a phone call.

On my teardrop doors, I was going to use an inner and outer seal. The outer seal worked so well that I never did add the inner seals.

Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Re: Door Trim Details

Postby rhubley » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:19 pm

That's a great resource Tom. Thanks! They have 1-1/16 and 1-1/4" so I can reach through and trim the excess.
rhubley
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques