Floor Hatch Lip

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Floor Hatch Lip

Postby Alan_H » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:16 pm

In my design in progress I'm going to have storage in the floor under the bed. How much of a lip does the hatch need to give adequate support? It will be at the foot of the bed, but I still want it to be able to support weight to avoid it dropping through if someone decides to sit down there.

I was thinking 1/2" would be sufficient but I would like some additional input.

Thanks!
Alan_H
Lifetime member

Re: Floor Hatch Lip

Postby noseoil » Mon May 02, 2016 7:33 am

1/2" is plenty, depending on the thickness of the lid, but how will you get to it with the mattress in place?
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Alan_H » Mon May 02, 2016 11:15 am

noseoil wrote:1/2" is plenty, depending on the thickness of the lid, but how will you get to it with the mattress in place?

Thanks for confirming my thoughts on the lip... I plan to use 1/2" Ply for the floor. There will be sufficient support in the floor, it's the lid I am concerned with.

Access to the storage is my next area of internal debate. I've thought of sectioning the mattress, however where to do that...

Here are a couple scenarios that have been running through my brain:
1) Do enough at the foot of the mattress to fold it up and over... Pros- The lid will either be loose , or hinged at the back, so this method would allow quick access to the storage area... Con - I have double the mattress thickness to lift things over, then put them in the storage area.

2) Do the same distance cut, but at the top of the mattress, fold the top down, then slide the mattress to the front to gain access to storage... Pro - Less restriction to the storage, as the mattress piece could be folded up to minimize blockage. Con - Basically remaking the bed every time I access the storage area.

3) 2 cuts in the mattress and stack everything vertical at the front of the trailer. Pro - full access without anything in the way of getting to storage. Con - even more dis-assembly of mattress and remaking the bed.

This storage area will not be a high traffic area, but more for 1-2 times per trip access, such as storing the rifle case while in transit for a hunting trip. Get there, pull out the case, take out the rifle and put the empty case back, make the bed. Don't need to get back to the case until it's time to case the rifle for the return trip. I can also store other items there, such as maybe heavier items that won't fit in the galley but I want to keep near the axle due to weight. I am also contemplating an on-board water tank for this area, and possibly the battery box. Obviously, the battery box would be sealed and externally vented if it ends up here.

I will have a small amount of head-board storage for light items, like extra pillows or blankets. I will also have exterior side access to the remainder of under-floor storage. I already have these access doors, as well as my regular entry doors.
Alan_H
Lifetime member

Postby noseoil » Tue May 03, 2016 7:07 am

We used a 5" foam mattress with a 3" memory foam topper. It's very comfortable, but I wouldn't want to lift or move it, too heavy to deal with. Our combo weighs about 55#, so it's really too heavy to lift easily in a small space if it's all one piece.

I think doing it in sections would be the easiest way to access the floor storage. Cut across the end where the storage is located once you figure it out. Don't skimp on a mattress, it's your best sleep option for travel.
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques