Canned Ham Wall Construction Question

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Canned Ham Wall Construction Question

Postby duroo » Mon May 09, 2016 6:34 am

Hello all!

This is my first post here, and i hope you can help me!

I am building my first camper using the trailer from an old Coleman popup camper. I've got the design all ready to go and my next step is buying the materials. Before I do that, I need to lock down my design for the walls. For the curved roof I am going to use 1/4" plywood with "bubble wrap" insulation underneath, then 3/8" paneling for the interior. The vertical walls are where I am having trouble deciding. I want my camper to be as light weight as possible, but I also want it to be strong enough that a strong wind will not deform it. My options are as follows:

1/4" plywood, 3/4" blue board insulation, 3/8" panel with 3/4" stud boards throughout for support

OR

1/2" plywood, 1/2" blue board insulation, 3/8" panel with 1/2" stud boards throughout for support

Will the 1/4" be strong enough, or do I need to go with the 1/2" even though it will weigh more? Keep in mind this camper, while not huge, will be a good bit larger than a regular tear drop. The trailer is 11 ft long, and the profile will be approximately canned ham shaped.

Thank you!
duroo
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Canned Ham Wall Construction Question

Postby noseoil » Mon May 09, 2016 7:32 am

What is the over-all size of the trailer? L X W X H?
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby steve cowan » Mon May 09, 2016 7:53 am

In the design resources section [top of page] ,the Wanderer camper plan only uses 1/4" with a few studs and no interior paneling.It was designed by an engineer [Andrew] and according to him this is sufficient.This plan has a pdf file that has a good general layout of a typical canned ham.
steve cowan
Donating Member

Postby duroo » Mon May 09, 2016 8:13 am

Length: 11ft
Width: 6.5ft
Height: 6ft
duroo
Teardrop Inspector

Postby duroo » Mon May 09, 2016 9:23 am

Also, would OSB be sufficient for the roof and walls, since it will be covered up on both sides anyway? Or should I use real plywood? OSB would be cheaper if you guys think it will work.
duroo
Teardrop Inspector

Postby noseoil » Thu May 12, 2016 7:48 am

I'm thinking that 1/8" panels & 3/4" X 1 1/2" framing (1x2's) are all you really need. If there's an inner & outer skin, the wall & roof will be very strong this way. For floors, you could use 1/4" if the framing is closely spaced (12" on center). A "box" with a 1/8" bottom panel & 1/4" top skin works. In an area you will be standing in, 1/2" with a 12" on center framing grid is more than strong enough.

Remember, you will need "hard points" where everything fastens together, so blocks for fixtures, coat hooks, window shades, switches, etc. are needed & help support the skins where they go. Light can mean strong!
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bdub_77 » Thu May 12, 2016 1:39 pm

Duroo,
I'm still in the process of rebuilding my canned ham, about the same size as yours.
I built the walls using the SIP's approach, and made the sandwich with 1/4" exterior, 3/4" foam, and 5mm interior (intended 1/8", but couldn't find it.)
Also, I hope you have better luck finding 3/4 blue (or pink) board than I did. I could only find 3/4" in the normal white (polystyrene, I think.)

The walls are very rigid, and I'm very pleased with the structure thus far.
bdub_77
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques