Gap in between door and frame help!

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Gap in between door and frame help!

Postby crhenderson » Sat May 14, 2016 11:40 pm

Hi, first time builder. My rear door is opening barn style with the hinge on the left. I have a large gap on the vertical right top side extending a quarter the way down roughly.

How would you fix it without interfering with the door closing?

Thank you in advance.
Attachments
door1 (1).jpg
door1 (1).jpg (16.53 KiB) Viewed 785 times
door2 (1).jpg
door2 (1).jpg (23.55 KiB) Viewed 785 times
Last edited by crhenderson on Mon May 16, 2016 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
crhenderson
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Gap in between door and frame help!

Postby les45 » Sun May 15, 2016 7:01 am

A picture would help so we could see what kind of materials you are dealing with.
les45
500 Club

Postby KCStudly » Mon May 16, 2016 2:51 pm

Looks like foamie construction.

In order to find the best solution it is best to fully understand the existing situation. I would start by measuring the door across wise at top and bottom, then up and down at both sides, then across the diagonal opposed corners. If you get the same measurements compared to each other the door is "square" (cut true with sides at 90 deg to top and bottom).

Next do the same for the opening. If that is also "square", then the problem is how the door was hung on its hinges and you can probably just rehang the door.

If the door opening is not square, does it change when you push on the side wall? If so your construction is not sound and you need to add some sort of bracing, gusseting or panel reinforcement. (I kind of doubt this is the case, since the gap is at the top. If the gap was at the bottom I'd have guessed that the weight of the door pulled things out of square.)

If the door opening isn't square but is rigid, you could probably peel the canvas back, glue some more foam on and glue the canvas back down. If that isn't feasible you could cut away a section, add what you need, and recover the perimeter of the opening all the way around so that it looks like you planned it that way.

If the door isn't square it might be easiest to remake it, since it is short on one side.

Figure out what the root of the problem is first and the solution will likely become much more apparent.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby crhenderson » Tue May 17, 2016 12:14 am

Thank you, I will check measurements. It is a wood frame for both the door and frame. It has not been hinged yet.
crhenderson
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bobhenry » Tue May 17, 2016 6:35 am

My guess is the weight of the door is distorting the opening out of square. Some interior corner bracing may be in order to hold the box square.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques