window for a window air conditioner

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

window for a window air conditioner

Postby mariannf » Mon May 23, 2016 11:24 am

Hi all,

I am working on my first build. I want to install a window that could accommodate a small window a/c. I have read through a number of threads about a/c installation but haven't seen this approach.

so two ideas that I am hoping to get input on:
1. There are crank windows that are relatively cheap, but generally the windows only crank out about 7 inches. Does anyone know if the crank mechanism is removed if the window would fully open....so window at 90 degrees from frame?
2. I could get a vertical slider that slides so one side has enough space for the small window unit. I would just need to remove the screen. The a/c I have was on sale at home depot and is 11 1/8 tall x 18 wide. so I could find a slider that is about 40 wide by 12-15 tall looks like there are plenty of them that size.

Let me know what you think, and thanks!
mariannf
Teardrop Master

Re: window for a window air conditioner

Postby KCStudly » Mon May 23, 2016 1:01 pm

I'm not familiar with any suitable premade solution, but I think I might take a slightly different approach. I think you said in another post that your AC window would be at the front of your cabin facing the TV, IIRC.

Most people who put a window or AC up front find that they have to cover it with a hard cover; for the window to protect from stone damage (and possibly to keep water out, depending on the type of window), and for the AC to keep water from passing thru.

So my idea is this, why not make a pass thru for the AC to fit into with a flip up hard cover on the outside. You could Velcro in (or otherwise fasten) a screen for when you don't need the AC and the cover would act like a shade awning. If you want to control the awning/cover from the inside you could use a simple pivot rod, maybe even with stepped increments (ajar, half open, fully open). It shouldn't be too hard to sort something out.

I suppose if you really wanted it to be a window you could make the main panel of the cover out of smoked plexi, or figure out a way to do a Willey window that lets you insert the AC (see Rowerwet's links).

GPW did a removable AC in a hatch on the side of the FoamStream; that may give you some ideas, too.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Re: window for a window air conditioner

Postby mariannf » Mon May 23, 2016 2:05 pm

KCStudly wrote:I'm not familiar with any suitable premade solution, but I think I might take a slightly different approach. I think you said in another post that your AC window would be at the front of your cabin facing the TV, IIRC.

Most people who put a window or AC up front find that they have to cover it with a hard cover; for the window to protect from stone damage (and possibly to keep water out, depending on the type of window), and for the AC to keep water from passing thru.

So my idea is this, why not make a pass thru for the AC to fit into with a flip up hard cover on the outside. You could Velcro in (or otherwise fasten) a screen for when you don't need the AC and the cover would act like a shade awning. If you want to control the awning/cover from the inside you could use a simple pivot rod, maybe even with stepped increments (ajar, half open, fully open). It shouldn't be too hard to sort something out.

I suppose if you really wanted it to be a window you could make the main panel of the cover out of smoked plexi, or figure out a way to do a Willey window that lets you insert the AC (see Rowerwet's links).

GPW did a removable AC in a hatch on the side of the FoamStream; that may give you some ideas, too.

Thanks KC!
i will consider this all. Question. is there a type of window that if placed at the front (facing the tow vehicle) that works best: most chip resistant or best at keeping water out?

Here is an exmaple of a front facing window with awning/rock guard. I might go this route: viewtopic.php?t=13987&p=181747
mariannf
Teardrop Master

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques