Foam tip

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Foam tip

Postby blentz » Thu May 26, 2016 4:59 pm

I'm sure you guys have already found this out but I didn't know this.
I'm at the point where I'm insulating the top of my trailer.I installed the 1/8 birch plywood and frameing then a layer of 3/4 insulation did the wireing I wanted over that. Now for the second layer of foam. I needed recesses in the foam so it would lay down. I fooled around with a razor knife, decided that there had to be a better way. Took a break and let the brain work on it. Then the light bulb came on! My router! Yes! A nice flat cutting bit and careful handling plowing perfect recesses for the wires.
Like I said lm sure I'm not the first to figure this out but I thought I would share.
Thanks for all the other help. I'm getting much closer to compleation. Should skin this weekend.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
blentz
Teardrop Builder

Re: Foam tip

Postby noseoil » Thu May 26, 2016 11:40 pm

I used a knife & straight edge. The router works well enough, but that foam gets into everything & is a real PITA to clean up. Two cuts on a 45 degree angle & it's done. Used the knife to score the skin & pop the foam to do the curves as well. Works like a champ & is very clean when it goes in. Used cuts about 2 1/4" apart (57mm).

Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques