Vertical hinge - waterproofing?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Vertical hinge - waterproofing?

Postby Mitchelkitman » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:20 pm

I'm looking at a build using GRP panels that hinge vertically and butt together (hinge to be on outside face of panels which will have a right-angle return edge). My first though was piano hinges with some rubber (maybe cycle inner tube cut up) folded around the hinge and sandwiched, thus creating a waterproof seal. Possible negatives.. expensive and fiddly to assemble. 2nd thought was a plastic hinge, negatives expensive, durable only if horizontal? My third thought is 3 brass butt hinges, positioned equally along the length - but how to seal? Could I just wax the face of one GRP panel and put a silicone bead between the panels, close panels together and wait for it to dry....... Silicone will stick to 1 of the panels (but not the waxed 1) giving a perfect seal - What do others think? Would it work for me as being a cheap, durable and easy fix?
Mitchelkitman
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Vertical hinge - waterproofing?

Postby rmclarke » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:40 am

I did the 'inner tube-under-the-aluminum piano hinge' thing with silicone.....worked for about 3 years, then it started leaking; Tiny holes started from all the open/close/open/close etc....it doesn't take much of a hole for it to leak. Replaced it with a hurricane hinge....wish I would have done so from the start.

Yeah, I saved a few bucks at first, but, I don't think it was worth it in the long run, when you consider my time, effort and materials. I had to install the hatch twice plus the cost of the original hinge, silicone and inner tube and then I wind up buying hurricane hinge anyway!

I understand wanting to build frugally, but many times, what is inexpensive in the short term winds up being more expensive in the long run.

That's just my experiential 2 cents worth.

Richard
"When a hammer is the only tool you own, every problem begins to look like a nail..."

ImageFrom this: Image to this: Image Finally!!
rmclarke
The 300 Club

Postby rmclarke » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:44 am

I'm sorry, I just reread the title of your post. Your said 'vertical hinge' and I was talking about the horizontal hinge over the galley.....my bad....it's late :oops:
"When a hammer is the only tool you own, every problem begins to look like a nail..."

ImageFrom this: Image to this: Image Finally!!
rmclarke
The 300 Club

Postby 3GKnight » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:30 am

I'm curious about this too. Mine has a piano hinge with some weatherstripping on the fixed face. The door face seems to seal up tight to it but it hasn't been tested yet.
3GKnight
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:41 am

I let the door trim do the weatherproofing by staggering the 1x3 picture frame trim. In his little illustration the red is the 1x trim the blue is the body wall and the black is the door. The interior trim is fastened to the wall and the outside one is attached to the door. Some weather stripping can be added if needed.

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby 3GKnight » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:53 am

bobhenry wrote:I let the door trim do the weatherproofing by staggering the 1x3 picture frame trim. In his little illustration the red is the 1x trim the blue is the body wall and the black is the door. The interior trim is fastened to the wall and the outside one is attached to the door. Some weather stripping can be added if needed.

Does the interior trim possibly create a 'gutter' at the sill? I'm sure the exterior trim keeps most of it out but if there is some leakage, does it collect at the sill or run out?
3GKnight
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:15 am

Hell I had to look, I had forgotten.

The outside trim was omitted at the bottom so it could drain. The inside trim is just a tiny bit proud to keep any stray rain drops out of the interior.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby H.A. » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:35 pm

;jkln.
Last edited by H.A. on Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
H.A.
The 300 Club

Postby Tomterrific » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:57 am

I use a labarinth seal like bobhenry's. I'm surprised how well it works. I used aluminum J bead for a gutter over the top to deflect water to the sides away from the door.

T
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby Mitchelkitman » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:50 am

H.A. wrote:I use a gear hinge. There are dozens of profiles available.

They do look effective. Unfortunately they don't appear to be easily available in uk - one I found was over £250 for 2m length!
Mitchelkitman
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques