40's Kenskill window hardware

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

40's Kenskill window hardware

Postby 3GKnight » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:38 am

Hoping against all hope that someone has dealt with this and has a fantastic solution...

Has anyone successfully replaced the old Kenskill teardrop (old, as in 1947) window hardware with something more modern and usable?

This is an aluminum recreation of the original hardware, or at least as I remember it plus a couple modifications. (The original hardware is somewhere in my garage. I think.)

There are a couple of problems. The biggest (and maybe most painful) is that when the window is only open to the first notch, the bar sticks directly out into the living area for most of it's length. There ain't enough room for that.

The other problem is that the length of the bar is restricted to the lower edge of the door. So even when opened all the way, the window is still shy of horizontal by 10 degrees or so. I'd really like the option to get the window up and at least completely horizontal to allow for full ventilation.

My current idea is to retrofit a manual vent crank assembly. Has anyone been successful with something like that?

Help please!!! Thanks!
3GKnight
Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques