aluminum to aluminum sealant for roof seam?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

aluminum to aluminum sealant for roof seam?

Postby mariannf » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:06 pm

Hi all,
I will have a seam in the roof of my first build. i understand the basic construction approach, but my questions for you is: what sealant should I use for the overlapped aluminum on aluminum at the seam?
many thanks in advance!
Mariann
mariannf
Teardrop Master

Re: aluminum to aluminum sealant for roof seam?

Postby aggie79 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:23 pm

I used 3M 4200 marine sealant. OSI gutter and seam sealant is another good product. It is available in "aluminum" color, and can be purchased at our local box lumberyard. Others have used VHB tape.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby mariannf » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:42 pm

aggie79 wrote:I used 3M 4200 marine sealant. OSI gutter and seam sealant is another good product. It is available in "aluminum" color, and can be purchased at our local box lumberyard. Others have used VHB tape.

Thanks Aggie! Have you heard of this stuff it mentions being used in "travel trailer construction" and is at the big box stores: https://www.google.com/shopping/product ... COYQrRIIRQ
mariannf
Teardrop Master

Postby Shadow Catcher » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:53 pm

Or 3M VHB tape
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby noseoil » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:15 pm

You can use any good sealant. The Osi Quad stuff is good, the 3M tapes work well & a urethane adhesive like SikaFlex is a good product. With the 3M tapes & urethane adhesives, make sure things are where they are going to stay. Once that stuff sticks, you will have a tough time trying to move things around.

Make sure everything is aligned properly & there are holes drilled & checked for the seams & edges. Once it's done, it will stay in place!
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mariannf » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:13 pm

noseoil wrote:You can use any good sealant. The Osi Quad stuff is good, the 3M tapes work well & a urethane adhesive like SikaFlex is a good product. With the 3M tapes & urethane adhesives, make sure things are where they are going to stay. Once that stuff sticks, you will have a tough time trying to move things around.

Make sure everything is aligned properly & there are holes drilled & checked for the seams & edges. Once it's done, it will stay in place!

Thanks Noseoil!
mariannf
Teardrop Master

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques