what to coat exterior with?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

what to coat exterior with?

Postby Kayaker1971 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:10 pm

I'm building a budget eardrop, no rear hatch just planning a door and a window.

The sides and floor are 5/8 sheathing plywood. The top is 1/8 lauan plywood attachd to 1" pine glued around the inside perimeter. I was planning to double up the luan. The isse is that now I am reading how lauan (luan) can delaminate and degrade etc from moisture so I'd like to eal it and of course seal the entire exterior.

I read epoxy a bunch of times but what epoxy and where to get it? this is a budget build! when the shell is complete with a door I plan to make a few cabinets, and throw a foam mattress or cut down futon and call it good

any advice on exterior options is appreciated. :D

Kayaker1971
Teardrop Builder

Re: what to coat exterior with?

Postby tony.latham » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:22 pm

I read epoxy a bunch of times but what epoxy and where to get it?

I'm a believer in Raka epoxy. I would suggest the 1/2 gallon kit (thin) for a 4 x 8. More for a larger 'drop. http://www.raka.com/epoxy.html

Hitting the budget world, The Mix is good too. It's oil based polyurethane (varnish) cut about 50% with minerals spirits and slopped on until it takes no more. I'd guess a 4x8 might take two mixed gallons but don't know.

Both sealants require a UV protectant, such as an oil based paint.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby KennethW » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:30 pm

I would cover the whole thing with titebond II,canvas(painters drop cloth) and exterior paint($5 miss-tint). It would be the most durable for the lowest cost and easiest in my opinion.
Last edited by KennethW on Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:45 pm

I agree with Kenneth! :thumbsup: They built old boats that way, and they really lasted!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Kayaker1971 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:06 pm

how much titebond are we talking for this 4x8 ?
Kayaker1971
Teardrop Builder

Postby KennethW » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:49 pm

I would guess about two gallons of glue and 4 gallons of paint to get a smooth finish. Most stores will let you return any unopened glue.If you do the canvas wrap it under the bottom to keep water off the bottom edge of the wall.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Kayaker1971 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:53 pm

ok thanks. any suggestions on what to use for the canvas, where to get it?

thanks
Kayaker1971
Teardrop Builder

Postby Kayaker1971 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:28 pm

nevermind on that question, using search found a few threads with options including harbor freight, and some other online sources for the cloth. glad I searched, apparently it really shrinks and you can pre-shring it by wetting with a garden hose and drying in the sun before applying...
Kayaker1971
Teardrop Builder

Postby Westy » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:30 am

Has anyone had any experience with using hessian (burlap) cloth rather than canvas for the cloth covering.

It seems to me that the strong fibres and open weave would promote excellent penetration for the glue and paint layers. I figure that one drawback could be the coarse texture would require additional sanding to get the required smooth finish.

Westy
Westy
Teardrop Advisor

Postby greygoos » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:49 am

Westy wrote:Has anyone had any experience with using hessian (burlap) cloth rather than canvas for the cloth covering.

It seems to me that the strong fibres and open weave would promote excellent penetration for the glue and paint layers. I figure that one drawback could be the coarse texture would require additional sanding to get the required smooth finish.

Westy

Go to the foamies section. They have all kinds of info on glue and canvas including suppliers. I believe one builder did use burlap also.
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques