The Mix

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

The Mix

Postby WestCoastWhale » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:45 pm

First of all, I think this is my first post. Thanks for the wonderful forum.

Now my question. I feel dumb asking this. I've searched all over the forum and have not found this simple answer.

When I read about "the mix" I've seen people say to use polyurethane varnish. My understanding is that varnish and polyurethane are not the same. Many people simply call all wood finishes varnish by default.

So when I go to buy ingredients for "the mix" am I looking for any clear wood finish on the shelf that says its oil-based poly?

I'd assume I should get an exterior finish, not an interior finish. What about interior/exterior poly finishes?

Thanks!
WestCoastWhale
Teardrop Inspector

Re: The Mix

Postby daveesl77 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:05 am

The best for the money is Minwax Spar polyurethane. It is an exterior poly and has UV protection. For my "mix", I do 25% poly to 75% mineral spirits, then 50:50, then 75:25 and finally full poly. The idea is that the 25% provides some fill protection as the mineral spirits/paint thinner (exactly the same thing) pulls the poly into the pores of the wood. You'll need to do maintenance on any exposed poly about once every year or so.

I used Spar varnish (poly) on my sailboats for years. It lasted through thousands of miles of hard sailing throughout the caribe and east coast of US.

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Re: The Mix

Postby WestCoastWhale » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:21 pm

daveesl77 wrote:The best for the money is Minwax Spar polyurethane. It is an exterior poly and has UV protection. For my "mix", I do 25% poly to 75% mineral spirits, then 50:50, then 75:25 and finally full poly. The idea is that the 25% provides some fill protection as the mineral spirits/paint thinner (exactly the same thing) pulls the poly into the pores of the wood. You'll need to do maintenance on any exposed poly about once every year or so.

I used Spar varnish (poly) on my sailboats for years. It lasted through thousands of miles of hard sailing throughout the caribe and east coast of US.

dave

Thanks Dave, I'll take a look around here for that. Minwax should be easy enough to find, even here in Canada.
WestCoastWhale
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques