Rack mounting

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Rack mounting

Postby Jfox1095 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:30 pm

Okay so I have a custom built roof rack that at one time was on my jeep. The bolts rusted from being on the coast wand broke off in the brackets they screwed into. After realizing the dimensions are basically perfect to go on the roof of the trailer I plan to build I would very much like to use the rack. Only one problem... How to I mount it without having to worry about leaks of water infiltration. I'd hate to spend the time and money only to ruin it by poorly mounting a roof rack. My roof will be flat with about a 12:1 downwards slope(6 inch drop over approx 6ft). Does anyone have any suggestions as to anchoring that works without compromising the integrity of the water seal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jfox1095
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Rack mounting

Postby Redneck Teepee » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:25 pm

Don't mount it thru the roof go thru the side wall and caulk for a water tight seal.

I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction, the world will have a generation of idiot's.
Redneck Teepee
Silver Donating Member

Postby GuitarPhotog » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:01 am

+1 on mounting it on the sides. Don't use silicon caulking, use polyurethane or better yet, use butyl putty tape between the mount and the trailer side wall.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby Redneck Teepee » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:33 am

Good point made Chas, I personally use and have used Sika-Flex 1A for years in the industrial world, one of the best if not the best polyurethane based sealants out there. It's elastomeric it seals and sticks! The butyl tape for what little you need (about 2" worth) can be sourced thru your local Sheetmetal Shop if you know someone, or they may just cut you off a short piece if you ask nicely. They seal duct work flanges with it, other wise home depot sells it for about $5 a roll :thumbsup:

https://www.google.com/search?q=sika-fl ... a&tbm=shop

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Fabral-1-4-i ... lsrc=aw.ds
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction, the world will have a generation of idiot's.
Redneck Teepee
Silver Donating Member

Postby Jfox1095 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:33 pm

Thanks for the advice.

I work in the tower industry so when you say butyl, the stuff that comes to mind is the stuff that seems like a mix between asphalt tar and rubber. Am I thinking about the same stuff you guys are talking about, or are you talking about the rubbery stuff that only sticks to itself? just trying to get it straight in my head.
Jfox1095
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GuitarPhotog » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:03 pm

Look for butyl putty tape by name. It looks a bit like plumber's putty tape, but is gray. I think I got mine from Vintage Trailer Supply, but don't remember.

<Chas>
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby Jfox1095 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:32 pm

I ask because I work on cell towers and there's always left over rolls from the weatherproofing kits. I've probably got 50 or so rolls stashed in different places. No sense in buying something I already have.

Jfox1095
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GuitarPhotog » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:48 pm

Jfox1095 wrote:I ask because I work on cell towers and there's always left over rolls from the weatherproofing kits. I've probably got 50 or so rolls stashed in different places. No sense in buying something I already have.

Yeah, but do you know what it is?

You don't want to depend on something you don't know what it is. IMHO ;-)

If it's silicone based, you don't want to use it. The butyl tape I've used is gray. The polyurethane caulk I've used is gray.

My $0.02 worth

<Chas>
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby jonesnforcampin » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:21 pm

I was also thinking about mounting a rack through the roof, but I like those brackets Teepee. Did you buy or build those?
jonesnforcampin
Teardrop Builder

Postby Jfox1095 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:27 pm

GuitarPhotog wrote:
Jfox1095 wrote:I ask because I work on cell towers and there's always left over rolls from the weatherproofing kits. I've probably got 50 or so rolls stashed in different places. No sense in buying something I already have.

Yeah, but do you know what it is?

You don't want to depend on something you don't know what it is. IMHO ;-)

If it's silicone based, you don't want to use it. The butyl tape I've used is gray. The polyurethane caulk I've used is gray.

My $0.02 worth

<Chas>

The stuff I have is black. Comes in about a 2 inch wide roll. It's butyl I can tell you that much due to packaging instructions and whatnot. Due to its applications, I doubt it is silicone based, but I can't say for sure. I'd post a picture, but the internet won't load the pic to upload.

Jfox1095
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GuitarPhotog » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:58 pm

If you are confident using it, go for it. What can we say... We can't see it and don't know anything about it's provenance.

In the end it's your trailer.

<Chas>
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby Redneck Teepee » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:10 am

jonesnforcampin wrote:I was also thinking about mounting a rack through the roof, but I like those brackets Teepee. Did you buy or build those?

Built them from 10 ga Stainless. The inside backing plates are my grab bars/curtain rods, makes for a good tight solid mount thru the 3/4" plywood sides. :thumbsup:

Redneck Teepee
Silver Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques