Slightly curved window in flat surface

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Slightly curved window in flat surface

Postby bam1028 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:40 pm

I just won a pair of new old stock windows for a van that I thought would be perfect for a teardrop door.The only problem is they have an inward curve to them and I will be putting them in a flat wall. The seller posted that the had an inward curve but I did not read it so its not the sellers fault. THey are great and I still wanna use them. They are 20x30 with a sliding window and screen. they have the interior trim rings and I gave eighty with shipping for them. Not the absolute end of the world if I can't. Does anyone know if there is a way to make a curve window fit in a flat surface?
Last edited by bam1028 on Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bam1028
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Slightly curved window in flat surface

Postby doug hodder » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:09 pm

Lay them flat on a surface and measure just how much of a "curve" they have on the outer frame. Just how much kinda dictates what you can do to use them. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby dogscats » Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:03 pm

I've seen one set up that used a 90s van side window. They used a deeper pocket to make up for the curve
TODAY IS THE OLDEST YOU'VE EVER BEEN,
YET AT THE SAME TIME, THE YOUNGEST YOU'LL EVER BE,,, SO MAKE THE BEST OF IT WHILE YOU CAN, AND ENJOY THIS DAY WHILE IT LASTS
dogscats
Donating Member

Postby bam1028 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:45 pm

Its a one inch curve from center to end. I hope that will give me a few options.I think I will be able to make it work and look good. What do you mean when you say deeper pocket? I think I have an idea of what you mean. Thanks everybody so far
bam1028
Teardrop Advisor

Postby dogscats » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:31 pm

The top of the window was set deeper in the wall .The framing for the window was reset.
TODAY IS THE OLDEST YOU'VE EVER BEEN,
YET AT THE SAME TIME, THE YOUNGEST YOU'LL EVER BE,,, SO MAKE THE BEST OF IT WHILE YOU CAN, AND ENJOY THIS DAY WHILE IT LASTS
dogscats
Donating Member

Postby bam1028 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:57 pm

Thats a good idea. I am gonna take scrap wood and practice before I cut into my final piece. Thanks for the replies. Let me know if anybody thinks of anything else
bam1028
Teardrop Advisor

Postby doug hodder » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:46 pm

Or, you can make up a filler piece and epoxy coat it out so that it acts like a curved gasket. Once you bed the window with some butyl tape it'll be fine. How are you finishing up the exterior? wood or aluminum skinned. If you don't have an insulated wall so that it can take the thickness of the recess, a filler piece might work better. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby bam1028 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:10 am

I am doing cedar. I was thinking of making some kind of filler cedar piece to contour with the the window. I took the trim rings off and remeasured and the contour is 1/2 from center to top or bottom. So one inch total. I freaked out yesterday. I dont think it will be that much of a job to make a filler piece. Thanks Doug

Sent from my LGL22C using Tapatalk
bam1028
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques