My Stanley Powerlock 25 on disability retirement

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

My Stanley Powerlock 25 on disability retirement

Postby les45 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:51 pm

My old Stanley Powerlock 25 finally broke after more than 37 years. It had helped build an entire house, three workshops, two campers, a motorcycle, dune buggy, and hundreds of smaller projects at home and at church. Needless to say I bought another one right away. I don't recall what the old one cost back then but they are still only $10 and American made. Same model number and the only differences I can see are a few minor changes in the label.

les45
500 Club

Re: My Stanley Powerlock 25 on disability retirement

Postby Rick Tyler » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:14 pm

les45 wrote:My old Stanley Powerlock 25 finally broke after more than 37 years. It had helped build an entire house, three workshops, two campers, a motorcycle, dune buggy, and hundreds of smaller projects at home and at church. Needless to say I bought another one right away. I don't recall what the old one cost back then but they are still only $10 and American made. Same model number and the only differences I can see are a few minor changes in the label.

When the hook broke off mine, they sold replacement blades ($3?). I wonder if they still do? Mine (admittedly, one of about 10 tape measures I have) must be 30 years old, though, so it's a baby compared to yours.

Congratulations on your new tape.
Rick Tyler
Teardrop Builder

Postby Dale M. » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:20 am

Never has one long enough to have to retire it.... I either lost them or my co workers stole them from me....

Anyway, RIP Stanley...

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:43 am

I've always bought and used the 3/4" x 12' Stanley's (common with Cabinetmakers) and amongst my collection of about a 10 of them I also have a couple 1/2" x 12' Stanley's (1970's issue) with the J.C.Penney name on the yellow label, still going strong.
I also have some 25' and 30' of various brands and Stanley is my favorite hands down.
I've replaced many blades over the years and miss the handy conversion charts that they use to print on the back side of the blade.
Now the 3/4" x 12' ones are made overseas and it's nice to see your new one is still made in The U.S.A. :thumbsup:
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby les45 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:30 am

Rick Tyler wrote:When the hook broke off mine, they sold replacement blades ($3?). I wonder if they still do? Mine (admittedly, one of about 10 tape measures I have) must be 30 years old, though, so it's a baby compared to yours.

Stanley's web site lists a few replacement blades but none for the 33-425. Most of the ones they still have cost $8 and up. You can find NOS blades on eBay but they start at $15. I got the whole tape measure new on Amazon for $10 and two day shipping.
les45
500 Club

Postby Dale M. » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:08 am

les45 wrote:
Rick Tyler wrote:When the hook broke off mine, they sold replacement blades ($3?). I wonder if they still do? Mine (admittedly, one of about 10 tape measures I have) must be 30 years old, though, so it's a baby compared to yours.

Stanley's web site lists a few replacement blades but none for the 33-425. Most of the ones they still have cost $8 and up. You can find NOS blades on eBay but they start at $15. I got the whole tape measure new on Amazon for $10 and two day shipping.

But what was cost of shipping...

$10 + Shipping = ????

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby les45 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:46 am

Dale M. wrote:But what was cost of shipping...

$10 + Shipping = ????

Dale

Free two day shipping with Amazon Prime. Actual cost was only $9.88. I've had Prime for two years now and I highly recommend it. I do most of my shopping now on Amazon or Ebay. Can't crank up the car and drive to Walmart for what I can get it online. We also take advantage of the other Prime benefits with Fire Stick for TV and Kindle readers.
les45
500 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques