epoxy glassing wood. question?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Re: epoxy glassing wood. question?

Postby Rick Tyler » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:17 pm

slowcowboy wrote:new to epoxy and glassing wood how soon can you sand after the epoxy kicks? what type of grit sand paper? slow

Wait until it is fully cured, which varies by speed of the hardener (fast/medium/slow) and the temperature. I've turned boats upside down in the winter with an electric heater underneath them to get the epoxy to cure in 50 degree temps. Partially-cured epoxy dust is not so good for you, so wear a good mask, gloves, and a long-sleeved shirt when you are sanding. I have had a couple of very mild rashes sanding in short sleeves, but with precautions you shouldn't have any issues. The worst part about using epoxy is the sanding.

If you are adding another layer of glass, I wait until the epoxy is tacky (not fully cured) then lay on the next layer and bed it in epoxy. Not letting it cure between coats makes the job go faster and (arguably) provides a better bond between the layers. If you are only using one layer of glass, just ignore this. :)

The grit depends on what you are doing. I've sanded boats where I wanted to remove globs fast, and used 60 grit, and other times used 150 if it was pretty smooth already and I was prepping for painting. The amount of sanding you do is determined solely by how smooth you want it to be.
Rick Tyler
Teardrop Builder

Postby Julius » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:35 pm

slowcowboy wrote:new to epoxy and glassing wood how soon can you sand after the epoxy kicks? what type of grit sand paper? slow

A good source is the epoxy manufacturer's table cross-referencing the epoxy type with the hardener type at different temperatures to establish an average curing time to wait before sanding, recoating, painting, etc. Certain epoxy-based product even recommend humidity thresholds to avoid poor results.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
Julius
Teardrop Inspector

Postby doug hodder » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:23 am

When it doesn't load up the sand paper with blobs, and will sand into a dust...it's ready. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby KCStudly » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:09 pm

Don't sand thru the cloth fibers or you can create "soft spots". Use fairing filler and/or more epoxy to fill the weave.

Ditto on the PPE. Respirator, tyvek sleeves and disposable rubber gloves. Must. Not optional.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques