Keeping the floor square

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Keeping the floor square

Postby Budowski » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:53 pm

Hey everyone

Started my build over the last few weekends using the Northern Tool 5x8 trailer. I built the floor using 1/2inch ply and 1x2 as a box frame sandwich with insulation in between. I cut out holes for each of the bolt heads that sit on top of the trailer frame.

Question is - the floor isnt sitting exactly square on the trailer frame. It seems my floor is square but perhaps the trailer is off - i have overhang by roughly .5" on two opposite corners. Has this been a problem for anyone else? My sides are going over the frame so I can probably hide it but not sure if this is going to cause major issues after I bolt it down. Any advice is appreciated!
Budowski
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Keeping the floor square

Postby Camp4Life » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:02 pm

If you measure the distance between the opposite corners on your floor, are they the same? How about if you do that now on the trailer?

The measurements both ways should be the same if it's truly square. If you floor is square and trailer isn't, put down some ply to keep it that way. Then you can bolt the trailer to the floor to give it a bit of "convincing" to get squared. If it's the trailer that's square, put your framing on the trailer, bolt it, and then put your flooring on.
Camp4Life
Teardrop Master

Postby Budowski » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:16 pm

Camp4Life wrote:If you measure the distance between the opposite corners on your floor, are they the same? How about if you do that now on the trailer?

The measurements both ways should be the same if it's truly square. If you floor is square and trailer isn't, put down some ply to keep it that way. Then you can bolt the trailer to the floor to give it a bit of "convincing" to get squared. If it's the trailer that's square, put your framing on the trailer, bolt it, and then put your flooring on.

So my floor measures equal to opposite corners. It's the trailer that's off. I guess I'll have to loosen all the bolts, attach the floor, then retighten the trailer frame bolts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Budowski
Teardrop Inspector

Postby HarleyCamper » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:44 pm

To make it more difficult, the extra play (oversized) in the bolt holes makes it very tricky to square. I built my floor carefully (truely square) then placed it on the trailer, adjusting the trailer to the floor.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
HarleyCamper
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Camp4Life » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:03 pm

Budowski wrote:
Camp4Life wrote:If you measure the distance between the opposite corners on your floor, are they the same? How about if you do that now on the trailer?

So my floor measures equal to opposite corners. It's the trailer that's off. I guess I'll have to loosen all the bolts, attach the floor, then retighten the trailer frame bolts.

That's your best bet :thumbsup:

Wouldn't hurt to throw in a couple welds in there as well if you have access to a welder, or someone who can put a few spots here and there where they bolt together.
Camp4Life
Teardrop Master

Postby Budowski » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:14 pm

Camp4Life wrote:
Budowski wrote:

That's your best bet :thumbsup:

Wouldn't hurt to throw in a couple welds in there as well if you have access to a welder, or someone who can put a few spots here and there where they bolt together.

Yea sure can good idea. Actually put some 1/8 inch metal shims on the inside of the trailer frame to get it level with the outside.

Budowski
Teardrop Inspector

Postby KCStudly » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:42 pm

You can use ratchet strap or rope tourniquet strung from long corner to long corner to pull it to match the short corner. Go slowly and check often.

Also, don't be surprised if the trailer frame is also not flat. If you build the box first, don't be afraid to pull the steel frame to the box in order to bolt it up. If you want to build from the floor up on the trailer, check it first and shim under the floor so that you don't pull the floor into a potato chip when you bolt it down. The side walls add a lot of stiffness to the floor and it is easier to build true off the trailer, IMO.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Budowski » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:10 pm

Ok so I ended up loosening all the bolts removing the axle and tongue. Squaring it up to the floor and bolting it down. Lesson learned - don't assume trailer frame is square!

Budowski
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques