Roof technique

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Roof technique

Postby stanger1944 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:41 am

Building a Squaredrop similar to this only 5'x8'. What material should I use on the roof? Keep in mind that I do want a roof rack on mine for kayak and the like.Image

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
stanger1944
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Roof technique

Postby les45 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:19 am

If your roof rack will fasten to the walls like the one in the pic, then your roof can be anything you want it to be. On my weekender, I used 1/4" plywood on 1X2 spars. However, my walls were 3/4" plywood which would easily hold a roof rack mount. If your side walls are lightweight composite, then you just need to provide framing that will accommodate the location of your roof rack mounts.
les45
500 Club

Postby stanger1944 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:29 am

les45 wrote:If your roof rack will fasten to the walls like the one in the pic, then your roof can be anything you want it to be. On my weekender, I used 1/4" plywood on 1X2 spars. However, my walls were 3/4" plywood which would easily hold a roof rack mount. If your side walls are lightweight composite, then you just need to provide framing that will accommodate the location of your roof rack mounts.

Were your 3/4 walls a single plywood panel, no insulation? Also did you use birch ply for the roof and walls?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
stanger1944
Teardrop Inspector

Postby les45 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:37 am

stanger1944 wrote:Were your 3/4 walls a single plywood panel, no insulation? Also did you use birch ply for the roof and walls?

My side walls were cabinet grade pine plywood with no insulation. I glassed the joints but just painted inside and outside. My 1/4" roof was plain pine good one side plywood straight out of Home Depot with 3/4" foam board insulation. The interior was lined with luan paneling. Outside was painted with Zinsser oil based primer and three coats of Rustoleum. You can see more details in my journal at this link: http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=49333
les45
500 Club

Postby Tomterrific » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:01 am

My walls are 5mm, less than 1/4". I used 1x3 battens to strengthen the thin stdes. A rack could be mounted to these battens as the effective strength would be close to a 1 inch side.

A wooden rack idea. My roof is the same 5mm plywood over 1x2 furring strips. Much too fragile for a direct load. The roof spars can be greatly strengthened with a sort of bridgework over the top of each. Cut small 1x2 blocks and space across the roof over the roof spars. Attach a 1x2 the width of the roof over the blocks. This ends up with the strength of a 2x3. Or the thinking could be the rack would make my very light trailer much stronger.

T
Tomterrific
500 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques