Swing open windows + bugs?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Swing open windows + bugs?

Postby Camp4Life » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:52 pm

I see a lot of designs with Wiley windows and windows that open outwards on a top hinge. I've been lurking around websites and yards and have found all kinds of used ones for cheap. From the beginning I thought about just normal RV/camper windows that slide sideways with screens. This won't work in the rain. Even having a small lip won't help much because often when we get rain, we get wind, and the rain is coming in at a 45 degree angle.

Looking at the flip out windows, I never see screens in them, same with the Wiley window setups. Are the screens just not showing in the pics? Is there a lever you slide to pop them out or do you push them out, hence no screen? And if you guys don't have screens, how do you deal with all the bugs? Over here, there's no way you can get any sleep if you're not in something enclosed/screened in, you'll get eaten alive by mosquitoes and horse flies!

Is there a design that flips out with a lever that allows a screen to be in place? I'd like that so I don't have to worry about rain.

Thanks! :beer:
Camp4Life
Teardrop Master

Re: Swing open windows + bugs?

Postby SCwood » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:44 pm

I'm not sure where they come from, but the Taxa Tiger Moth trailer my brother owns has exactly what you're looking for - flip out windows with a screen. They also have a built in sliding shade shade, too - all in one unit. It's something like open the window, then slide up for screen and slide down for shade. Maybe Taxa would sell you some or tell you where they come from.

SCwood
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Camp4Life » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:47 pm

That would be cool. I'll check their website to see if I can find a name of what they call them. But, I wouldn't want to open the screen to close the window because the buggers will all be clinging to the screen :x
Camp4Life
Teardrop Master

Postby Bill n Robi » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:58 pm

Only problem with those is the gap at the edges of the pleats on sliding screen. Solved it by making screens from universal home 'replacement kits' that covered the frame, using Velcro to attach. Open window to desired opening and then push the 'new screen' on, you actually end up with dual screens which give you added protection.

I'm packing up right now and they are buried or I'd post a picture.

something like this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/5-16-in-x-36 ... /206613125

Also if you have the roof vent blowing in, it will help keep them out.....
2015 T@G Max
2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4 Door Short Bed
Bill n Robi
The 300 Club

Postby daveesl77 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:05 pm

On my 4 wiley windows, the screens are attached to the inside wall of the camper with a thin strip of hot glue. This keeps them in place, even during the strongest winds with the windows open, but at the same time allows them to be peeled off if needed. The screens fit between the plexi windows and the wall. No rain, no bugs, air. Most important, no mechanical device to stick or break.

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Postby Tomterrific » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:28 pm

I bought jalousie windows for my trailer. The best looking, best performing windows for a homebuilt, IMO . they are inexpensive, shed rain, have screens and give a vintage look to any build. Search 'shed or playhouse windows'.

T
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby DrewsBrews » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:40 pm

I think wiley window idea came from boats? Less bugs on the water hence less need for screens. But daveesl77's solution seems effective.
DrewsBrews
Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:07 pm

Camp4Life wrote:That would be cool. I'll check their website to see if I can find a name of what they call them. But, I wouldn't want to open the screen to close the window because the buggers will all be clinging to the screen :x

These windows are called Eurovision windows.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby felixx » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:49 pm

my wileys have screens
felixx
Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:04 am

Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Camp4Life » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:19 pm

Thanks for all the input guys! And thanks for putting up with all my questions :frightened:

Those Eurovision windows would have to be imported it seems, would be quite pricey :(

Thanks for those links Tom! I like those, and the price is right! If I can find something like that, maybe a little bigger, I'll be in business window-wise! :thumbsup:
Camp4Life
Teardrop Master

Postby rowerwet » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:27 pm

all camper mounted wiley windows have screens that I know of, they usually are fit between the glass and the frame it seats against.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby Toytaco2 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:00 pm

You can find crank out windows suitable for a TD at reasonable prices if you are patient. I found crank out Hehr windows for my doors and a Hehr wide/narrow slider for the front on Ebay and they all have screens. I think I paid less than a hundred dollars for all three including the shipping. They have worked great and are bug free. The front slider will allow water to get in in a windy Oklahoma thunderstorm, but the door mounted crank outs have done the job. Of course they were used and I had to do a little frame straightening using C-clamps, but it was an easy job and they look like new.

Toytaco2
500 Club

Postby Camp4Life » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:34 am

Toytaco2 wrote:You can find crank out windows suitable for a TD at reasonable prices if you are patient. I found crank out Hehr windows for my doors and a Hehr wide/narrow slider for the front on Ebay and they all have screens. I think I paid less than a hundred dollars for all three including the shipping. They have worked great and are bug free. The front slider will allow water to get in in a windy Oklahoma thunderstorm, but the door mounted crank outs have done the job. Of course they were used and I had to do a little frame straightening using C-clamps, but it was an easy job and they look like new.

I have aaalllll winter to find some ;) Those are really nice! Thanks for the name, I'll keep a lookout!

-Al
:beer:
Camp4Life
Teardrop Master

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques