Trailer size problems!

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Trailer size problems!

Postby curtybird95 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:04 pm

I am making my teardrop from a popup camper trailer. I removed the popup from it and the trailer is in good shape it just needs a little cleaning up. The problem i am having is the trailer is 4' 7" wide. How do i manage this when doing the flooring and aluminum for the roof of the teardrop? any suggestions are greatly appreciated :)
curtybird95
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Trailer size problems!

Postby yrock87 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:18 pm

I assume you want to build a 5 wide Tear? if so, overhanging 3 inches on each side wont be a problem. many on here do it. check out the search function for side overhang.
The SJ Cruiser, my 5x10 Benroy build http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64944
yrock87
Teardrop Master

Re: Trailer size problems!

Postby KCStudly » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:53 am

... or build 4'-7" wide using 5ft stock sizes.

... or build 4'-7" wide using any of a number of techniques for "stretching your plywood" in construction tips forum sticky.

Just remember, for a traditional build you want the roof skin to be the widest piece (then the walls step in under that, perhaps sitting on top of the floor, perhaps skirting past the frame if tire sidewall clearance allows and you want the trailer frame not to show; then the floor width).

In other words, you have to figure out the 'schedule' of construction materials and joint designs in order to decide how it will fit the trailer and what the ultimate panel width of the roof will be. This "Wall to Floor Attachment" thread will explain a lot.

Edit: There is also the Steve Fredrick's method, where the roof skin sits down on a ledge inside of the wall top, making it easier to build from the inside out and achieving a nice tight headliner/ceiling joint to the wall.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques