Galley Hatch Screw Up!

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Re: Galley Hatch Screw Up!

Postby Sam I am » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:16 pm

Wow, that's a lot of work getting that sheeting off, but it's probably the only way to get it to fit right! I built mine as if it had no hatch, then cut the hatch free. No problems - perfect fit! I also used the 1/8" Baltic birch plywood for sheeting. It works great!

Sam
Sam I am
500 Club

Postby RunnerDuck » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:25 pm

Sam I am wrote:Wow, that's a lot of work getting that sheeting off, but it's probably the only way to get it to fit right! I built mine as if it had no hatch, then cut the hatch free. No problems - perfect fit! I also used the 1/8" Baltic birch plywood for sheeting. It works great!

Sam

Mine fit perfectly as well before I took it off the TD to put the outside sheeting one. That's when I ^&#$@^& it up! I learned a huge lesson and will post my solution as I go along.

Thanks for the comment,
RunnerDuck
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:44 pm

OUCH. I've got virtual blisters and dull tools now. :thumbdown:

What did you think of that glue?

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby RunnerDuck » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:10 am

tony.latham wrote:OUCH. I've got virtual blisters and dull tools now. :thumbdown:

What did you think of that glue?

Tony

You're right Tony, I trashed a chisel getting the plywood off because I kept hitting nails but no blisters :)

If the glue is put on correctly and compressed between the two pieces of wood it's tenacious but if it's not compressed it's not very strong. I found areas that weren't all that compressed and the plywood came off pretty easy which isn't a good thing unless you're trying to remove it.

I certainly have learned a lot in this exercise.
RunnerDuck
Teardrop Master

Postby RunnerDuck » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:07 am

aggie79 wrote:Kenney, peel it & set the skin with the hatch in place. There's really no other way to be sure it will sit properly to seal, unless you make a jig to act as a form when adding the skin. Even though I had more ribs, I still didn't trust having it sit on the bench when putting on the outside skin. Any slight movement will cause a bad seal.

I'm a fan of skinning the hatch in place.[/quote]

Tom, I've got some questions about your method.

Looking at your pictures why did you stop half way down and not skin the whole hatch at once?

I see you have screws going straight through the skin in the cross members but through cauls on the sides and one cross member. Any reason for this?

I just want to get a good understanding of your process before I proceed as I really think your way of doing it will work best for me.

Thanks,
RunnerDuck
Teardrop Master

Postby aggie79 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:33 pm

Great "save" on the hatch. I can't even imagine how much work it was to remove the skin.

The reason that I skinned my hatch in sections is because my hatch is very long - about 6' from hinge to bottom - so I couldn't use a single sheet of 3mm ply.

Regarding the screws for "clamps" initially I didn't use a ply backer or caul. Later I became concerned about getting an even glue joint so I started using backing materials.

The screws I used were square-drive, washer-head, self-drilling "Kreg" screws. The washer head spread out the clamping effect and the self drilling part saved time since I didn't have to pre-drill screw holes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby RunnerDuck » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:09 am

aggie79 wrote:Great "save" on the hatch. I can't even imagine how much work it was to remove the skin.

The reason that I skinned my hatch in sections is because my hatch is very long - about 6' from hinge to bottom - so I couldn't use a single sheet of 3mm ply.

Regarding the screws for "clamps" initially I didn't use a ply backer or caul. Later I became concerned about getting an even glue joint so I started using backing materials.

The screws I used were square-drive, washer-head, self-drilling "Kreg" screws. The washer head spread out the clamping effect and the self drilling part saved time since I didn't have to pre-drill screw holes.

Thanks Tom, I appreciate that. My plywood should be in today so will start skinning again later today or tomorrow using your technique :)

Stay tuned,
RunnerDuck
Teardrop Master

Postby RunnerDuck » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:55 pm

TADA! :D

Good news everybody, I now have my galley hatch skinned with 1/8" plywood. After a couple of false starts like cutting the plywood the wrong direction, :oops: I put the hatch on the TD to make sure it fit perfectly and then put on the plywood.

I attached the plywood along the top with the temporary hinges and a few screws.

Hatch Skin 1.jpg
Hatch Skin 1.jpg (238.73 KiB) Viewed 578 times

Then I glued the edges and braces with lots of PL adhesive.

As suggested I clamped it all down with cauls and lots of screws. I let it cook over night.

Hatch Skin 2.jpg
Hatch Skin 2.jpg (266.42 KiB) Viewed 578 times

The next day I trimmed the edges with a router and by golly it fits perfectly :applause:

Now I'm ready to glue down the .032 aluminum skin on top of the plywood. I think I'll use contact cement and roll it in place.

Thanks to everyone for their comments and support. I really appreciate it and certainly saved the day.

Now to the side skins and the roof!
RunnerDuck
Teardrop Master

Postby Alan_H » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:43 pm

Hooray!!! :applause:

Glad it worked out for you without having to start from scratch! :thumbsup:

Now it's time... as Stumpy Nubs would say... to sit back and have a cold one, 'cause you deserve it. :beer:
Alan_H
Lifetime member

Postby tony.latham » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:08 pm

The next day I trimmed the edges with a router and by golly it fits perfectly :applause:

:thumbsup:

I suppose the moral of the story is to always-always listen to the wife.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:03 pm

Fantastic! Well done. I know that is a relief.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques