Exterior-Rated MDF - Any Good?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Exterior-Rated MDF - Any Good?

Postby Andrew Herrick » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:06 am

So, Menards - sort of a Midwestern version of Home Depot - sells this stuff:

https://www.menards.com/main/building-m ... 731430.htm

It's an exterior-rated MDF. It's not cheap - almost as much as industrial-grade marine plywood - but it promises exceptional dimensional stability, moisture resistance, rot resistance, insect resistance and finishing capabilities. It's available down to 1/2" thickness. Anyone ever use the stuff? Thought it might work for painted cabinetry or bendable roof sheathing, if one could find it in 1/4" thickness.
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage

SEE MORE AT: boondockcampers.com
Andrew Herrick
The 300 Club

Re: Exterior-Rated MDF - Any Good?

Postby noseoil » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:04 am

Too heavy & over-kill.
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KCStudly » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:02 am

If it sounds too good to be true... "Must be primed and painted before being exposed to the outdoors", doesn't sound anymore waterproof to me.

As far as marketing claims go, here's an example; Advantech is supposed to be the latest and greatest exterior grade/waterproof chip board intended as a decking/sheathing material. I'm pretty sure that what they mean is if it gets wet once or twice during a home construction project it isn't the end of the world, and will dry out and and be okay once the house is done being built and weathered in. Where I work they used this as a flooring underlay in a mixer room/wash down environment, then capped it with a (supposedly) water proof industrial plastic snap lock tile finished floor, then did a pretty sketchy job sealing around the toe kicks. Within 2 years the floor became spongy and black with rot. It had to be ripped up and replaced at no small cost. (They used the Advantech again, but this time they went with a "welded" plastic sheet good and rolled it up, sealing it to the wall to form a tub like baseboard.)

So there is no free lunch. If you let moisture creep in and fester it will swell and rot just like any other wood.

I would (in fact I did) go with the marine ply in 5mm (3/16 inch); some people go as thin as 3mm (1/8 inch) for ease of bending and lighter weight. When backed up by foam board 5mm is more than adequate.

As always, it is as much about designing for and sealing the moisture out in every last detail, as much as it is the materials selected. :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:38 am

noseoil wrote:Too heavy & over-kill.

And it won't bend.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Andrew Herrick » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:20 pm

KCStudly wrote:If it sounds too good to be true... "Must be primed and painted before being exposed to the outdoors", doesn't sound anymore waterproof to me.

So there is no free lunch. If you let moisture creep in and fester it will swell and rot just like any other wood.

I would (in fact I did) go with the marine ply in 5mm (3/16 inch); some people go as thin as 3mm (1/8 inch) for ease of bending and lighter weight. When backed up by foam board 5mm is more than adequate.

As always, it is as much about designing for and sealing the moisture out in every last detail, as much as it is the materials selected. :thumbsup:

True that. I know we all love wood, but it is a finicky material, isn't it?

Thanks for the input, everybody! I'll go back to more tried-and-true products. Probably less VOC's, too!
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage

SEE MORE AT: boondockcampers.com
Andrew Herrick
The 300 Club

Postby dmdc411 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:15 pm

It's too heavy, brittle, heavy, etc. My book, MDF is good for one thing, underlayment. Use a decent plywood. If it's going to be covered on both sides, BC, or AC is fine. I used 3/8" AC exterior glued, and 5mm luan for the interior, cabinets, and exterior roof. Cover with aluminum. It's very sturdy, solid! Also 1x 2 or 3" popular framing in the walls.
dmdc411
Teardrop Master

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques