Battery advice

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Battery advice

Postby bobwhite215 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:49 pm

Hi all. Looking for general advice on batteries. I've scoured the forum, and found lots of detailed construction and wiring info, but virtually nothing on just choosing a battery.

In general, I am trying to decide on type and placement of a battery in my teardrop build.

A traditional RV/marine deep cycle, or a golf cart battery appear to be economical choices. However, I am worried about the off gassing of a lead acid battery, and think I would be forced to mount it outside on the tongue. I really don't want to do that for aesthetic and weight distribution issues.

The sealed AGM batteries look to be a good choice, but there are still concerns. Charging could be a problem if I understand the heat and overcharge issues correctly. It would be so much simpler to just charge off of the tow vehicle. Also, I see where they still recommend mounting in a vented box, so there must still be gassing issues. I really don't want to sleep next to a battery giving off fumes.

Are these my only choices? Am I overthinking it? Any advice or experience would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk
bobwhite215
Teardrop Master

Re: Battery advice

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:26 pm

I agree with not wanting a battery in the places you mentioned.
I've always mounted my group 24 deep cell batteries in these battery trays.
I make a sealed removable hatch in the floor to access and install the batteries.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby tony.latham » Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:18 pm

I like Danny's idea...

I've got a Group 27 in our tongue box. It's way more battery than we need. This spring I'm going to switch over to a 12V 35AH U1 Deep Cycle AGM. 20 Amps of useable power is more than we'll ever need and I'll dump thirty five pounds.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby bobwhite215 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:45 pm

halfdome, Danny wrote:I agree with not wanting a battery in the places you mentioned.
I've always mounted my group 24 deep cell batteries in these battery trays.
I make a sealed removable hatch in the floor to access and install the batteries.

Thanks. I like that idea a lot. Do you enclose the battery itself in some type of box, or just hang it under the floor like that? No ground clearance issues?

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk
bobwhite215
Teardrop Master

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:56 pm

The trays hangs 5 1/2" above the pavement and even if I lost a 205/75R15 tire and was just riding on the 15" rim, it shouldn't scrape the pavement.
I allow enough room between the underside of the floor and the trays for connecting the battery cables.
I don't enclose the batteries with anything more than what the trays provide, never had any issues.
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques