Adding a vent to supply fresh air into the sleeping cabin?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Adding a vent to supply fresh air into the sleeping cabin?

Postby Esteban » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:42 pm

:thinking: I'm considering using a Butterfly Vent in the bulkhead wall to let fresh air from outside under the trailer floor into the rear of the sleeping cabin. Wondering if anyone has done this, or something similar, before. It could be useful to bring in some fresh air over night. Even when its raining.

I may use a stainless steel butterfly vent like the Sea Dog Stainless Steel 5" Butterfly Vent which costs $16.95 from Amazon.
Sea-Dog 5" Stainless Butterfly Vent
Stamped 304 Stainless
Diameter: 5"
Length (Fastener to Fastener): 4-3/4"
Vent Area: 2.91 sq in

I'd build a fresh air passageway in the galley.

Alternatively if I could find a source in the USA I might use a Hit And Miss Vent Cover which are readily available in the UK. Hit and Miss vent covers are available in many sizes and materials. One could be used to let in considerably more fresh air than the above butterfly vent with its 2.91 sq in vent area.

Some initial test shopping success! I could buy a Bulk Hardware BH00534 Stainless Steel Hit and Miss Vent, 229 x 77 mm/9 x 3 inch from Amazon UK delivered to me (the estimated full cost of the vent and delivery) for $21.55.

:) Edit: I bought one and it should be delivered in early November.

:thumbsup: 2nd Edit: I received an email from AmazonUK that the 9" x 3" stainless steel hit and miss vent has shipped. Delivery is scheduled for November 3rd.
Last edited by Esteban on Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Re: Butterfly Vent to bring fresh air into the sleeping cabi

Postby clip » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:07 am

I'm confused about where you plan to install it at. I was considering the same vent style but in the side walls covered with a down open cover similar looking to the drier vent on most houses.
MS
clip
Teardrop Builder

Postby KCStudly » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:27 am

I am incorporating a permanent vent into TPCE. Once I marry the cabin to the trailer frame and confirm the rear xmbr location, I will open a hole in the galley floor just behind the bulkhead, next to the divider that separates the cooler slide out area. I'll build a two sided chase that boxes in this corner between the divider, bulkhead and underside of the galley counter. On the underside of the floor I'll have a grill with replaceable filter gauze. Just above floor height will be a 120mm case fan. Above that there will be a register and home made grill on each side, one on the cabin side of the bulkhead and another in the galley. I included blocking in the bulkhead and have already bored the hole for the vent just above bedding and feet, under the lower rear cabinet, on my side of the camper (wife gets cold while I am usually warm).

With the galley hatch closed and roof vent open all of the air flow from the small fan will move into the cabin; but while underway with the roof vent closed and the small fan running, the galley will still become pressurized (hopefully), that way the system can act as a positive pressure set up to hopefully help keep dust out when driving on dirt roads (assuming that my weather seals are less than perfect).

When the fan is off the vent will still be open; I have no plans to close it off, just epoxy seal the heck out of it all.

That's the plan anyway.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Esteban » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:01 pm

clip wrote:I'm confused about where you plan to install it at. I was considering the same vent style but in the side walls covered with a down open cover similar looking to the drier vent on most houses.
MS

The new vent will be installed in the bulkhead above the mattress & bedding and below the upper over-the-feet cabinet. I'm hoping the vent will provide a refreshing (maybe cooler?) air flow into the cabin area. It should provide enough fresh air to sleep safely at night. The hit and miss vent will provide a source of fresh air independent of the side entry doors and windows. That may be especially nice/helpful in rainy, windy, weather. A Fantastic Fan will be installed in the roof. There will be several ways to ventilate the cabin area which will increase our comfort, pleasure and safety.

The Initial Design Concept. My cabin will be about 61" wide inside. I plan to install the 9" wide by 3" tall hit and miss vent cover on the front side (sleeping area side) of the bulkhead wall between the cabin and the galley. The vent will be centered (30.5" OC) in the bulkhead wall. The over-the-feet cabinets will be 20" above the cabin floor. The bottom of the vent opening will be about 15.5" above the floor and the top of the opening will be about 18.5" above the floor.

I'll build an enclosed air passage in the galley area to bring in air from the outside under the floor to the vent. The design of the air passage is in a conceptual stage and needs refinement. I'll probably install a computer fan somewhere inside the air passage with an on/off fan switch in the sleeping cabin. I plan to install a bug screen on the outside air inlet. I may use a stainless steel clam shell cover to help protect the outside under floor air inlet from dust, debris & moisture intrusion.

Once the vent cover arrives I'll test its closed up air tightness. That will influence my design.

I'm optimistic that the hit and miss vent will add camping comfort/pleasure to my 5' 4" wide by 10' long Benroy styled teardrop.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:24 pm

I use a 3 1/2" X 3 3/4" stainless clam shell vent on each side wall of the galley with a 1" round screened aluminum vent (available at Home Depot) up under the top of the vent.
See my signature photos.
I follow up the two vents with a 2" round screened aluminum vent behind one of the galley drawers to the underside of the cabin foot board cabinet where it won't get blocked by bedding, etc.
My drawers set 1/2" away from that bulkhead.
No water gets in so you have fresh air always coming in and it helps equalize the negative interior pressure when traveling down the freeway at 60 MPH.
This helps with Bernoulli's principle where water gets sucked past door and galley lid seals.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Esteban » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:00 pm

:applause: KC and Danny, thanks for sharing your helpful ideas and photos. :thumbsup:

I'm seriously considering adding two clam shell vents to the upper galley area, with one on each side like Danny does, in addition to my cabin area "hit and miss" fresh air vent. I may also add something to equalize the air pressure between the cabin and galley. My plan/design is evolving and improving.

:) This discussion may be of help to many of us.

Side view of Danny's teardrop where you see the small clam shell vent(s) outside of the upper gallery area.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby noseoil » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:44 am

We used 3 small aluminum vents (about 2") which go from above the PD4045 & stereo into the cabin from the galley bulkhead side. Biggest problem is the smells going into the cabin in the morning. Things like coffee, cinnamon rolls & dinner cooking can be very hard on someone napping or trying to sleep in on a trip. The original idea was to allow some heat to escape from the small area, with all the electrical stuff in the galley bulkhead & pocket between the cabinets. Works well enough, but I wouldn't want to retro-fit this type of opening after the fact. Easier to do during the build than after.....

Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:01 am

Here's a better close up of the Clam Shell Vents.
Look real close and you can see the inside vent on the opposite side.
I put one on the inside and outside and seal the plywood hole.
When I have ordered them in the past I've had to polish the Stainless steel with a small buffer to make them look real nice.
Last edited by halfdome, Danny on Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Esteban » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:19 pm

:thumbsup: The Stainless Steel Hit and Miss Vent I bought from AmazonUK was delivered today!

I'm very pleased with the quality and value of the hit and miss vent. The stainless steel has an attractive brushed finish. Its actual size is 9.5" x 3.5". When it's open it should provide plenty of fresh air to the cabin area to safely sleep overnight without suffocating. Sliding the small center knob easily adjusts the amount of the opening. It also closes snugly. When it is fully closed and I hold it sideways I can see a little light coming through so it will not be 100% airtight.

Now that I have the hit and miss vent in my possession I can move forward with the design of the air vent that will supply air from the outside under the floor to the cabin's sleeping area. I'll probably add a computer fan and an on/off switch to the fresh air vent. I anticipate the hit and miss vent can be opened enough to provide a passive (unpowered) supply of fresh air at night. When we want a more breezy (cooling?) air flow through the cabin then a computer fan can be used to provide a gentle breeze.

Bottom line I'm really pleased with the hit and miss vent cover. Its attractive and functional. When fully opened it will allow more fresh air to enter the cabin than a round butterfly vent would have. :) I think it'll add to our camping safety and comfort
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Re: Adding a vent to supply fresh air into the sleeping cabi

Postby bobwhite215 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:33 pm

I am going to run a couple of fresh air vents out thru the floor. Not sure exactly where yet though. Since they will exit under the floor, I'm not really worried about appearance. I think I am just going to use shower floor drains screwed to the bottom of the floor. Openings should be small enough to keep any varmints out.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
bobwhite215
Teardrop Master

Postby JonchaVilla » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:08 am

I was thinking of putting one or two vents to the side walls near the floor. Do you know if there is any way to insulate vent somehow? I just don't like the idea of putting a direct hole to the floor/wall. In such case the cold air would just flow in and make the temperature drop.

Do you use anykind of fans in sleeping cabins?

If your sleeping cabin is air tight there is a risk of forgetting to open the butterfly vent.
JonchaVilla
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Esteban » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:36 am

JonchaVilla wrote:I was thinking of putting one or two vents to the side walls near the floor. Do you know if there is any way to insulate vent somehow? I just don't like the idea of putting a direct hole to the floor/wall. In such case the cold air would just flow in and make the temperature drop.

If your sleeping cabin is air tight there is a risk of forgetting to open the butterfly vent.

My teardrop's (sleeping area) cabin will have multiple ways to provide ventilation. They'll be used in different ways depending on the weather and temperature.

The roof will have a Fantastic Fan which will usually be open at least a little at night. The two side entry/exit doors will have 15" x 24" slider windows. The hit and miss vent at the foot of the bed will provide outside air from under the floor. I plan to install a computer fan in the under floor fresh air inlet.

I may also install a small air passage from the galley area to the sleeping area like halfdome Danny suggests with two small clam shell vents high in each of the galley's side walls.

I estimate that the 3.5" x 9.5" hit and miss vent I bought will provide several times as much ventilation as the butterfly vent I first considered using could. When fully closed the butterfly vent will be nearly air tight. When it's fully opened with a fan switched on a gentle breeze will enter at the foot of the bed.

On really cold nights I can open both the hit and miss vent and the Fantastic Fan just enough to provide fresh air to sleep safely without suffocation. In windy & rainy weather I can use the hit and miss vent at the foot of the bed instead of opening the doors or side windows to help keep the cabin area dry.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby bobwhite215 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:21 pm

JonchaVilla wrote:I was thinking of putting one or two vents to the side walls near the floor. Do you know if there is any way to insulate vent somehow? I just don't like the idea of putting a direct hole to the floor/wall. In such case the cold air would just flow in and make the temperature drop.

I am just starting my build and plan on putting a couple of permanently open fresh air vents in. In such a small space, I am much more concerned with fresh air than I am with a little bit of cold air getting in. If it's cold enough to worry about, you are probably running a heater of some type anyway.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk
bobwhite215
Teardrop Master

Postby halfdome, Danny » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:37 pm

With our Fantastic Vent we always leave it open at least 1"-2", rain or shine, cold or hot, and never had any rain water enter, even in a heavy downpour.
As you can see in my signature photo on the left it's open all the way in the summer.
Venting a teardrop is pretty simple.
ImageImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Dan242 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:56 pm

bobwhite215 wrote:I am going to run a couple of fresh air vents out thru the floor. Not sure exactly where yet though. Since they will exit under the floor, I'm not really worried about appearance. I think I am just going to use shower floor drains screwed to the bottom of the floor. Openings should be small enough to keep any varmints out.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Maybe some screening to keep out insects...I plan on doing similar, but will incorporate fine screening to keep out bugs. I also will try to make the vent kind of a pyramid shape with screen on bottom and fan near top. This will allow surface area to compensate for the screening. the muffin fan will be slightly below the floor so I can make a flush cover for it
Dan242
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques