Underside coating for aluminum trailer

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Underside coating for aluminum trailer

Postby hospadar » Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:26 pm

Hi!

I'm building a little pop-up teardropp-ey type of thing (it's sort of like a mini Cricket).

The floor of the trailer is made out of some 1" aluminum honeycomb panel, the bottom of which is exposed directly to the underside of the trailer. It's awesome stuff, very strong, but I'd kind of like apply some kind of coating to the bottom of the trailer just to maybe help corrosion & dings in the honeycomb panel (the panel skins are pretty thin @ .022").

I'm thinking about applying some truck bed liner - either herculiner or the rustoleum spray-on stuff (which by all accounts is a lot thinner, but it's also cheaper so..)

Anyone have any experience with either - especially in the context of coating a trailer bottom? What other coatings should I consider (that can be applied directly to metal)?

Side note: this honeycomb aluminum panel is awesome. A 5x10 sheet weighs something like 35 or 40 lb, has almost no flex at all. I got an awesome deal on it - bought it surplus from Palmer Johnson yachts in sturgeon bay, WI.

Thanks!

(link: https://luxurylandyacht.wordpress.com/)
(post w/ rendering of the plan: https://luxurylandyacht.wordpress.com/2 ... -new-plan/)
hospadar
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Underside coating for aluminum trailer

Postby bobhenry » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:22 pm

Rustoleum is now making a spray on and a liquid rubber coating. I have used the spray and can highly recommend it.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby noseoil » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:15 am

I used Henry's (NOT Bob Henry, the other guys) white elastomeric roof coat from a home supply store, did two coats to seal the 1/8" plywood. This was on top of a urethane sealer, which was the "primer" coating. It's a rubberized coating & seems to hold up pretty well, just a roller & it's finished. Nice to have a white underside as well. Easy to see stuff that way from beneath if you're working. It's cheap & effective.
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby hospadar » Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:02 pm

Thanks!
hospadar
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques