6x12x6 build

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

6x12x6 build

Postby mariannf » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:37 pm

Hi all,
I am thinking about starting my 2nd build: a 6x12 by 6 tall using a basic Rimple design. My question is about roof skin. I haven't seen aluminum that is 6' wide. Assuming it isn't readily available (thought if you know a supplier please let me know) what are you're opinions about skinning the roof. Should I go with multiple 4' or 5' wide sheets and join them or is there another material that comes in 6' wide that you would suggest. Thanks for sharing!
Mariann
mariannf
Teardrop Master

Re: 6x12x6 build

Postby KCStudly » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:14 am

Mariann, try looking for commercial truck repair shops. They are likely to have rolls of 108inch wide aluminum sheet in white. They use it for trailer and van siding/roofing. Usually fairly cost effective compared to other sources, but they may not be too concerned in handling it carefully.

If you sweet talk them into putting some duct tape on the cut edges before they roll it up, you will likely get less scratches, etc. Also, be prepared to transport a large cylinder.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby mariannf » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:00 pm

KCStudly wrote:Mariann, try looking for commercial truck repair shops. They are likely to have rolls of 108inch wide aluminum sheet in white. They use it for trailer and van siding/roofing. Usually fairly cost effective compared to other sources, but they may not be too concerned in handling it carefully.

If you sweet talk them into putting some duct tape on the cut edges before they roll it up, you will likely get less scratches, etc. Also, be prepared to transport a large cylinder.

Thanks KC!
mariannf
Teardrop Master

Postby wingloader » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:48 pm

Hi Mariann,

I am in the process of re-skinning my TD. Did you end up finding a roll of aluminum Large enough that you did not have seams?

Thanks!
Joe
It takes a big man to cry, and an even bigger man to laugh at that man.
--jack handy
wingloader
Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques