Asphalt Paint

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Asphalt Paint

Postby Realtoroutdoorsman » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:57 pm

I see a lot of y'all builders using it for the underneath of the trailer and flooring. Asphalt paint is very in-expensive so I was thinking of why couldn't you use it over the whole unit then come back with exterior primer and paint over the black paint. What are your thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Realtoroutdoorsman
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Asphalt Paint

Postby Realtoroutdoorsman » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:03 pm

Has anyone ever used this product? http://www.farmpaint.com/product.php?pr ... 249&page=1

Realtoroutdoorsman
Teardrop Inspector

Postby elcam84 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:26 pm

Realtoroutdoorsman wrote:Has anyone ever used this product? http://www.farmpaint.com/product.php?pr ... 249&page=1

No but that's very interesting. I will definitely keep that in mind for a few projects. Kind of reminds me of spraylat (for those that know what it is). Also similar to the tool handle dip which I had a gallon at one time and it goes bad very quickly.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
elcam84
Teardrop Master

Postby bc toys » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:40 am

I was thinking about Flex seal but now that I see this I might look into it
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby pcovell74 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:50 am

Does anyone have any feedback on the paint? I’m curious if anyone has used it. It’s much cheaper than Flex Seal seeing as that it goes for $90 a gallon in the big box stores.
Thanks,
Preston
pcovell74
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bobhenry » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:56 am

I used it to coat the entire frame of the depot wood , metal and all.

It takes a week to completely dry to the touch. I also coated the top bottom and all sides of the floor in the caboose.
Since this I have learned something! Polar seal, the roof coating, can be tinted with a compatible latex exterior paint and will make a rubberized paint that will fill small seams and voids and protect the wood. The c/d grade plywood floor of the depot was coated with two coats of polar seal and was in the weather for 7-8 weeks before it was dried in. It looks as good as the day after the first coat. It dries in about 30 minutes to a some what chalky finish.

Image Pardon the muddy foot prints.

I did notice that when I added the exterior latex the chalky finish was gone. The Grey on the depot is a mixture of 1/2 polar seal and 1/2 paint I also added a huge blob of drywall compound to try and arrive at a stucco like finish. It has been on the exterior of the depot 4 months now in rain snow and bitter cold and still looking good. See my tiny house , depot thread for more details.

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques