Side tents--taken to the next level.

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby Ira » Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:23 am

I'm having trouble visualizing it the way you're describing, but your A-Frame idea is VERY interesting:

The sides MAKE the roof.

Let's also remember that I have a truck, so worst case scenario, it DOESN'T have to fit into the cabin.

So if we think of an A-frame, one open side butts the TD. If you wanted some decent height, taller than the TD, like you said, you want to go 8 feet. So you would need a small triangular gusset piece that blocks out that open area at the top. Know what I mean? This is where rain gets in.

Now, is there any issue with the open area at the bottom, below the trailer?

Next, the other side of the A can be sealed off with a triangular piece of canvas or vinyl, with snaps.

But here's the biggie:

What happens with the floor? Let's assume we don't care, we just want a place to bunk an extra person and use it for nature calls. But if a big rain comes and it slopes to that area, our feet are soaked. But that's an issue you would have to deal with with any side enclosure, right?

Maybe the coroplast would work for this.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

coroplast

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:43 am

:oops: Hi guys. My only excuse is I don't know what a coroplast is! So, I am sure I got this out of whack, and soggy feet are cured with a small pallet. Can even make one all the way to the door. (Are you overloaded yet?)
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Re: coroplast

Postby goldcoop » Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:00 am

Miriam C. wrote::oops: Hi guys. My only excuse is I don't know what a coroplast is! So, I am sure I got this out of whack, and soggy feet are cured with a small pallet. Can even make one all the way to the door. (Are you overloaded yet?)

Hi Miriam!

Think a plastic version of the material cardboard boxes are made from; Coroplast!

I think your idea of a small pallet/skid is probably best, walking on Coroplast when wet is SLICK!

Cheers,

Coop
goldcoop
Silver Donating Member

side tent

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:11 am

:D Cool, I think that is the stuff used in cake boards. So if you used that for a side tent, some of you really good woodworkers could make a slideout/popup! (No kidding) 8)
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Laredo » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:13 pm

well, yeah, Ira, that's about it. A cross between this:

and something like this:

I would stack 3 of the panels vertically, and hinge the triangles to opposite edges so that they folded to the 'inside' to latch (adding sturdiness and giving you less "sail" in case of unkind weather).

Your triangular gussets at top and bottom could even be made of thin plexiglas for the sake of light.

Remember those pictures in plane geometry class, things like dodecahedrons?

Yeah. It doesn't need to be that complicated. Look at an A-Liner's roof arrangement and think box hinges and 1x2s. You could make a big panel with drain slots for your floor if you didn't want to haul around a pallet, or you could get one of those "shower floor caddy" thingies from www.sportsmansguide.com too ...
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:05 am

Oh I got a picture of that...

Just take the roof, rotate it 90*, hang it from the edge of the teardrop, and then add a 3rd section from the other edge of the roof to the ground... :? yet?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Laredo » Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:25 pm

You could do that ... but I was thinking about something that could be "unfolded" and latched on as needed.
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques