Windows - crank-out or slider

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby Micro469 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:52 pm

What about the pop out windows from a Chrysler minivan? would they work or are they too curved? Also, the door seals from a car, they push on a ridge. If you make your doors like S. Frederick does, could these be used as seals?
:thinking:
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby cracker39 » Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:31 am

Ken, I checked that link and their description doesn't make sense. It is described as a 15" x 30" window, but then it says:

OVERALL MEASURES 31" HIGH AND 19 1/4"WIDE AND 2" DEEP.

CUTOUT SIZE IS 15" HIGH BY 20" WIDE

Neither of these measurements could possibly fit a 15" x 30" window. What is the cutout size for yours?
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby toypusher » Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:43 am

Dale,

I checked the guys ebay sales and I am convinced that the Overall size is a typo. Contact him and ask about it. There is another window that lists the same overall size and a different cutout size that seems to match, so I thing that the original one is a mistake.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-RV-WINDOW-18-X-36-OPEN-WITH-SCREEN-NO-RESERVE_W0QQitemZ4608532002QQcategoryZ50069QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby EZ » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:49 am

I decided to go with a couple of crank-out windows from a local truck topper dealer. They are 15" X 18" with screens and tempered glass, black. Probably comparable to one of the types at Lil Bear. Lil Bear prices appeared cheaper but adding $20 for shipping made me decide to go local. The windows that were ordered for me cost $49 each and I ordered them sight unseen. We shall see what they look like.

EZ
EZ
Donating Member

Postby cracker39 » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:28 pm

EZ wrote:I decided to go with a couple of crank-out windows from a local truck topper dealer. They are 15" X 18" with screens and tempered glass, black. Probably comparable to one of the types at Lil Bear. Lil Bear prices appeared cheaper but adding $20 for shipping made me decide to go local. The windows that were ordered for me cost $49 each and I ordered them sight unseen. We shall see what they look like.

EZ

I've checked with several local shell/cap dealers, and all tell me all they can get are sliders. I just can't seem to find the crankouts anywhere locally in Central Florida. I think I'm going with the 15" x 30" from Lil Bear. With shipping, 2 for $145. I'd pay $107 with tax for those two 15" x18". Comparing the two, the larger Lil Bear windows are cheaper per sq. ft. of glass area.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Ken A Hood » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:38 pm

cracker39 wrote:Ken, I checked that link and their description doesn't make sense. It is described as a 15" x 30" window, but then it says:

OVERALL MEASURES 31" HIGH AND 19 1/4"WIDE AND 2" DEEP.

CUTOUT SIZE IS 15" HIGH BY 20" WIDE

Neither of these measurements could possibly fit a 15" x 30" window. What is the cutout size for yours?

It's a typo, I emailed them before I bid on them. they are actually 15" tall by 30" wide(cutout size).....
Disclaimer: I in no way resemble the avatar shown. Furthermore, I in no way have any affiliation to the Trailer Park Boys and more specifically Bubbles!
Ken A Hood
500 Club

Postby cracker39 » Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:39 pm

I've only bid on Ebay once. The bids stayed low until the last few minutes, and then they went out of sight. My top bid didn't make it to the end. A bidding frenzy can push the cost over what you'd normally pay for lots of items.
Dale

cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby asianflava » Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:47 pm

cracker39 wrote:I've only bid on Ebay once. The bids stayed low until the last few minutes, and then they went out of sight. My top bid didn't make it to the end. A bidding frenzy can push the cost over what you'd normally pay for lots of items.

You can thank the snipers out there for that. I rarely ever bid on items anymore, I just snipe them.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby s4son » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:16 pm

I got two 23" X 25" crank out windows from a guy on E-Bay. I kept bidding on the windows and kept losing out. So I e-mailed him and he agreed to sell me two windows. They are black aluminum with trim ring and the knob for the crank. They have rounded corners. With shipping they were right at $100. I got crank outs because that's what my wife wanted. Does anyone know how you install these things?

Scott F.
Are we there yet?
ImageImage
s4son
Donating Member

Postby madjack » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:42 pm

..,Scott a 1/2 x 6(8?) self tapping screw goes thru the trim ring and into a channel on the inside of the window, clamping the window in the hole...on ours we didn't like the look so we drilled directly thru the outside flange and used screws to install from the outside(we haven't actually installed the windows yet but that is how we are gonna do 'em), we will probaly use auto windshield sealant to seal them or you can use butyl tape
madjack 8)
p.s. at least that is how ours worked out...you can see 'em at Beaver's Bend if you come on down
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby bdosborn » Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:04 am

Madjack,

I used rv putty to seal my windows and it worked pretty good. No mess, stays put while you install it, cheap and no leaks. I sprayed my windows pretty good at the car wash without thinking about it and came through it dry. Whatever excess that squeezes out when you install it can be trimmed with a razor and it peels right off.
http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus ... 8&src=SRQB
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby madjack » Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:09 am

Bruce, that is what I was talking about(butyl tape) we might use that since it would not be as messy...were you able to get the window to sit flush with putty under it
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby bdosborn » Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:11 am

Madjack,

Yeah, the excess squishes out pretty easily so it all sits flush. I tightened the screws slowly and in a star pattern to make sure it all went in straight. Be sure to go back a week or two later and see if the window is still tight. The putty keeps flowing for awhile before it finds its final level.
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Re: Windows - crank-out or slider

Postby Mr. Thrilling » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:15 pm

Since Lil Bear has closed does anyone have a source for 18x15 Hand Crank Windows and nostalgic door latches? Vintage Technologies seems to be the only source and I'd like to comparatively shop.
All suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Mr. Thrilling
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques