Has anyone diluted Hammered Rustoleum?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Has anyone diluted Hammered Rustoleum?

Postby les45 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:24 am

I'm using Hammered Rustoleum on the walls of my pop-up project. I put the first coat on full strength over factory primered plywood with a 4" foam roller but, regardless of how I worked it, I still see the roller lines after it's dried (looks like stripes in certain light). Even without the lines, the texture varies a little from dull to shiny so it definitely will need a second coat. I know in the past, I've used regular Rustoleum and diluted the topcoat with 25% mineral spirits and it looks like it's been sprayed on with absolutely no roller lines. Has anyone diluted the Hammered Rustoleum like that and gotten good results? Or any other helpful hints for getting rid of those roller lines on the topcoat?
les45
500 Club

Re: Has anyone diluted Hammered Rustoleum?

Postby Toytaco2 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:47 pm

I used Hammered Rustoleum on my TD and it was diluted with the product recommended on the back of the can. My son (a professional) sprayed the finish on and it came out great. Most people can't believe it's sprayed over plywood. Any other parts I've coated by brush or roller turned out like yours. Probably not much help, but, I think you should consider spraying if at all possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Toytaco2
500 Club

Postby dancam » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:52 pm

I have used hammered paint in aerosol before but why would you roll it? With a heavy nap roller dont you get lots of texture anyway?
I think you should have no problem thinning it, you just may have less texture and it will take longer to dry.
I have thinned regular tremclad and sprayed it, worked great. Just need like a $35 hvlp gun, doesnt have to be a good one.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
dancam
500 Club

Postby les45 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:23 pm

I gave up!! Second coat was no better and I tried diluting by 25% and even 50% but nothing worked (Rustoleum says don't dilute so the diluted experiments lost the hammered effect). I just didn't want to set up a paint booth and still take a chance that the hammered effect might not look right. Decided to use a regular gray enamel that is a close shade to the hammered silver. First coat (over the hammered silver) went on really well. I plan to put a top coat of the gray diluted 25% with mineral spirits to give it a nice sprayed on look.
les45
500 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques