Farmtek Polymax thread Reborn

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby sid » Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:14 pm

Well, I didn't get to work on it like I planned this weekend, but did find time this evening to do one side.

One of my employees was killed on his motorcycle on his way to work on Friday morning, so my time was needed elsewhere this weekend. He was 40 with a wife, 9 year old son and 6 week old daughter. A super nice guy. He will be missed.

Here's the pic, and there are more in my Album.

http://tnttt.com/album_ ... er_id=1921

It was really a breeze to put on, just make sure it is straight when you start, cause it ain't gonna let go! All in all, it probably only took about 45 min to an hour to tape, paste and cut the side out. A utility knife does the trick just fine.

Maybe next weekend sid n side will get to finish this job.

So far, Polymax is working out great. :thumbsup:

sid
sid n side
"If you're going through hell, keep going......" Winston Churchhill

Side by Side - completed October 2008
sid
Donating Member

Postby Ron Shaw » Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:28 pm

Sid n Side, That looks marvelous, just marvelous :applause: :applause:
I had no luck finding any tape up here like yours, did find some at an auto paint supply place that was 7/8" wide by 60' long and they wanted over $40.00 a roll for it. :o :o So I am going to go, as soon as it warms up again, with the Henrys 663. Did find a gallon of it. Sorry to hear about your employee. Bad weekend for all. My neighbor of 40+ years had a massive heart attack and died on his front porch Friday night, and the daughter of a very, very, good friend drowned in floodwaters early Friday morning. :(
Ron Shaw
Teardrop Dreamer
Ron Shaw
Teardrop Builder

Postby sid » Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:07 pm

Our thoughts and prayers are with ya Ron. Just back from the cemetary ourselves and it was a tough one for us. Full military honors can really choke you up. Especially when you are that close to someone.

As for the Polymaxall, all seems great. Like I said before, you can't pull it off with both hands and a foot on the trailer.....

Let us know how the Henrys 663 works out. I had bought some, but took it back after the tape worked so well. I think we are doing some great research and development here.

Miriam C., are you keeping up with this?

sid n side
sid n side

sid
Donating Member

Postby CPASPARKS » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:49 am

Sid,
My td has just plain old frp and is holding up great. I got skeery reading about the frp not being uv resistant. So, I painted the white frp to match my tow vehicle (Silver Jeep Wrangler). It looks great.
The polymax is uv resistant. I think the white looks great. But it would be easy to paint it to match your tow vehicle or whatever color you would want.
Sorry about your employee. I had a good friend who sold his company in November for millions of dollars and in less than 90 days he unexpectedly died. Just goes to show that money is not that important if you do not have good health. The td hobby takes your mind off the everyday worries.
Post more pictures as you progress. Looking great!
Kevin
CPASPARKS
The 300 Club

Postby sid » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:47 am

Hey CPASPARKS,

I thought the FRP came in both types, uv and non-uv, with the uv resistant costing just a bit more? Just curious as to what type paint you used because I don't think there is any way you could paint polymax and have is stick. It is just too slick.

The polymax only comes in white, which is great for us because the Jeep Cherokee and the Toyota Tacoma are both white.

sid
sid n side

sid
Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:45 pm

Dear Sid and Side

Miriam C., are you keeping up with this

Not for a minute have I forgotten you. Seems I got back on line just in time. That looks great. Am I understanding you right, you only tape this on? :twisted: This is such a good idea, especially for me. Sitting around for the last month has me feeling my age today. Not as strong as I thought. :roll:

Our prayers are with you and I am very sorry to hear of the losses for you and The Family.

The same for Ron and Family.

Sincerely,
Miriam
Patiently waiting. My emoticons are gone again. :cry:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby sid » Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:50 pm

I was able to skin the other side today. Started at 5:00 pm and was finished by 6:00 pm. One hour start to finish with no hurry involved. This stuff is really easy to work with. So far no problems at all. I'm lovin it.....

Miriam,
As you can see from the pictures, it is on with double sided tape. It's 3M part # 950-2, but I'm sure others will work. Farmtek carries an industrial strength double faced plastic tape (part # LJ7587) for $5.95 per 25 yard roll that will probably do the trick.

:cheerswine:

sid n side
sid n side

sid
Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:24 pm

:applause: :applause: :applause: :thumbsup:
Wow! That looks so good. I think you have hit on something great here. Perhaps all those who had plywood issues need to consider this.

Did you use 1/2 on the sides? The door looks an inch but the back looks 1/2.

I remember the headliner but not if you put luan or anything before the skin???? ;)

I copied the info of the tape and put it in my design book. Under special considerations. Same for the polymax.

Thanks for remembering my interest.
Miriam
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby sid » Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:37 am

Miriam,

It is actually 3/8 plywood on the sides. The door areas are thicker because the cabin area is framed with 1x2's with a luan skin inside and 3/4 inch insulation. There is not a need to frame or insulate the galley area.

I did use the polymax inside for the front wall and roof, and I placed 1/4 inch plywood on the inside front, not on the inside roof. It gave it a lot of support.

sid n side
sid n side

sid
Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:17 pm

:P Get er done.

Hi Sid -N- Side
hurry I am waiting for you to road test that baby. Have you used anything to adhere the polymax to the top except the tape?
Are you going to put a trim on the edge?

OK. Hold further questions till more done. :twisted:

Looks real good.

Miriam
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby sid » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:39 pm

Hey Miriam,

Yes, it will be trimmed in the traditional teardrop way. That tape really sticks it down though. With the tape, edge trim and fan on top, it ain't a goin any whar!!

I ordered the trim, windows, door handles and a few other things from RW Johnson today. I still have to build the doors and the galley hatch. I have 3 days off now so maybe some progress will take place. The galley is close to being done, just need to finish the counter top.

sid n side
sid n side

sid
Donating Member

Postby Ron Shaw » Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:39 pm

Sid and everyone. Well, finally got a warm enough day to put the first piece of PolyMax on. I am using Henry's 663. Although it is messy stuff to work with, it does quite well. Well enough that with all the aluminum that is to be put on it is not going anywhere. Here are a couple pic's for you to chew on. The rest are in my personal album.
Looks like I gotta get a little prictice in inserting pictures. :duh

EDIT: I fixed 'em up for ya Ron...click your edit button on this post to see the proper format...MJ
Ron Shaw
Teardrop Dreamer
Ron Shaw
Teardrop Builder

Postby Miriam C. » Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:52 pm

Ron's:
I am using Henry's 663. Although it is messy stuff to work with, it does quite well.
[/quote]
That does look messy. I tend to wear messy. Sid said: "tape sticks instantly." Is that true of the Henrys?

They both look amazing.

Miriam
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Ron Shaw » Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:21 pm

Nope, it is not an instant stick. You have to put the PolyMax on and sort of rub it out. A roller would have been great but I had none so I used a thick folded cloth. Really that part was no problem. The Henrys kept wanting to fall of the serrated trowel - that was the problem.
Ron Shaw
Teardrop Dreamer
Ron Shaw
Teardrop Builder

Postby sid » Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:12 pm

:applause: :applause: :applause: :thumbsup: :ok:

Great job Ron. It looks SUPER!

I looked through your library and you have some great woodworking skills. Your cabinets are really nice.

My back is a little sore tonight, but it's a good sore. Been working on the teardrop all day. We got the top skinned and it went just fine. No problems at all.

Had time to work on the galley and got the stove and cooler slides done and made some sliding cabinet doors. All in all a great teardrop day. Two doors and a hatch and we'll be about ready. Keep us informed on how the Henry's does.

sid n side
sid n side

sid
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques